Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawnmower problem

The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up how
fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then have to
run after it! The throttle setting has a noticeable, but small effect
sometimes, but only for a moment or two.

Suggestions?

The mower is a "Best Green" with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

David.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up
how fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then have
to run after it! The throttle setting has a noticeable, but small effect
sometimes, but only for a moment or two.

Suggestions?

The mower is a "Best Green" with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

David.

Da..stab..rk

Is there a filter in the fuel line? Clogged?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-08-2007, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:

The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up how
fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then have to
run after it!

Look for a slack spring in the governor mechanism; the throttle only
controls the speed indirectly, by telling the governor what's wanted.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up
how fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then have
to run after it! The throttle setting has a noticeable, but small effect
sometimes, but only for a moment or two.

Suggestions?

The mower is a "Best Green" with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

Also *DON'T* overfill with oil as too much will give a wave effect inside
the case and the governor mech will fluctuate.

Also check the pinch bolt on the governor arm hasn't loosened off.

Loose spring on the float bowl float to the needle valve will make a
difference too.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Aug, 19:04, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up how
fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then have to
run after it! The throttle setting has a noticeable, but small effect
sometimes, but only for a moment or two.

Suggestions?

The mower is a "Best Green" with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

There is a sort of metal flap, acted upon by the draught from the
flywheel, which operates the throttle butterfly. There should be a
spring biasing it in one direction, making a very crude constant revs
governor. Oh, and a floppy metal rod to the carburettor. The hand
throttle cable in effect sets the end point for this gadget. Sounds
like something wrong with that lot somewhere

Equally, the choke is operated by the last motion of the hand throttle
cable. Can't recall the details, I think it's a sort of cam. Again a
spring is involved to force the choke device to move against the
control. Something may have dropped off there.

If you know the model of B&S you can probably download drawings from
the web site.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote...
The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up
how fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then have
to run after it! The throttle setting has a noticeable, but small effect
sometimes, but only for a moment or two.

Suggestions?

The mower is a "Best Green" with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

It's called "Hunting" and is usually caused by fuel starvation.
Check fuel lines and any filters for dirt but it's probably the carburettor
that has dirt in the float chamber so take it off the machine, take the top
off and clean it out using petrol. Be careful though, it's a precise
instrument, do not damage the float or you will need a new carb. 10 min job.
You can get plastic in-line fuel filters at most motor spares shops so get
one of those and put it in the line between tank and carb.
If you damage the paper gasket between the top and bottom taking it all
apart make/cut a new one using the cardboard of a cereal packet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

-
wrote in message
oups.com...
On 6 Aug, 19:04, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up
how
fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then have to
run after it! The throttle setting has a noticeable, but small effect
sometimes, but only for a moment or two.

Suggestions?

The mower is a "Best Green" with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

There is a sort of metal flap, acted upon by the draught from the
flywheel, which operates the throttle butterfly. There should be a
spring biasing it in one direction, making a very crude constant revs
governor. Oh, and a floppy metal rod to the carburettor. The hand
throttle cable in effect sets the end point for this gadget. Sounds
like something wrong with that lot somewhere

My mower is prone having grass cuttings building up on the 'metal flap',
gives similar symptoms.
Rog

Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote...
[...]

We have a mower with the 4Hp B&S which also hunts I found using the Shell
Optimax cures the problem with no adjustment needed in this setup there is
no throttle adjustment ( a retrograde step IMO ) - the carb is mounted on
the tank precluding fitting a filter inline.
Derek

Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote...
The engine keeps revving fast then slow repeatedly every second or two.
While it still cuts the grass without problem it makes it's own mind up
how fast the engine goes, so I alternately walk slowly behind it then
have to run after it! The throttle setting has a noticeable, but small
effect sometimes, but only for a moment or two.

Suggestions?

Yes the Machine needs a new carburettor diaphragm. its just a small piece of
rubber and they need replacing periodically.

Mike

Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote...
[...]

I've found the cause of the problem. There are two springs near the carb.
One applies the tension in the throttle cable and there is a second very
small weak spring, which seems to perform some sort of stabilisation - this
was broken. Until I can get a replacement spring I've hung a bit of wire
weighted with a little washer from the attachment point of the spring - this
seems to supply just enough tension to stabilise the engine speed. Too slack
and it runs at an erratic speed but too tight and it revs like it's going to
take off!

David.