Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new hedge

This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing. I said definitely not Lleyandi!!! I
thought Laurel but it would be quite close to their house. I said I
didn't know but I knew a few people who might, can you help?

Judith

Old 12-08-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing. I said definitely not Lleyandi!!! I
thought Laurel but it would be quite close to their house. I said I
didn't know but I knew a few people who might, can you help?

Judith

Both Bay and cherry laurel make good hedges, what's the rain fall pattern? a
lot of the good evergreens may not like a hot dry summer and very cold
winter.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-08-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Aug, 23:02, "
wrote:
This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing. I said definitely not Lleyandi!!! I
thought Laurel but it would be quite close to their house. I said I
didn't know but I knew a few people who might, can you help?

I regularly suggest rosa rugosa, based on the success of mine. It
became impentirable in about 3 years.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing. I said definitely not Lleyandi!!! I
thought Laurel but it would be quite close to their house. I said I
didn't know but I knew a few people who might, can you help?

Judith

Both Bay and cherry laurel make good hedges, what's the rain fall pattern?
lot of the good evergreens may not like a hot dry summer and very cold
winter.

Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall

would bay and cherry laurel be easy to propogate for making a lot of
hedging, please?

Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing. I said definitely not Lleyandi!!! I
thought Laurel but it would be quite close to their house. I said I
didn't know but I knew a few people who might, can you help?

Do you get hard frosts in winter? If not there are a lot more options that I
have growing at my house as I mentioned in another thread here recently.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Festina lente

Old 12-08-2007, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

" wrote in

message
ups.com...
This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing. I said definitely not Lleyandi!!! I
thought Laurel but it would be quite close to their house. I said I
didn't know but I knew a few people who might, can you help?

Judith

Both Bay and cherry laurel make good hedges, what's the rain fall

pattern?
lot of the good evergreens may not like a hot dry summer and very cold
winter.

Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall

would bay and cherry laurel be easy to propogate for making a lot of
hedging, please?

Yes, you can pretty much just stick it in the ground where you want the
hedge.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 11:31 am, "Cerumen" wrote:
" wrote in message

ups.com... This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing. I said definitely not Lleyandi!!! I
thought Laurel but it would be quite close to their house. I said I
didn't know but I knew a few people who might, can you help?

Do you get hard frosts in winter? If not there are a lot more options that I
have growing at my house as I mentioned in another thread here recently.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Festina lente

Thank you to Charlie, John Robert and Chris for responding. We do get
hard frosts here and always snow on Christmas morning, I think it is
just under one thousand metres??

The summers, usually, but not the past 3 years, are hot and dry, can
you remind me of your thread so that I can take a look, please?

Judith

Old 13-08-2007, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 12, 11:31 am, "Cerumen" wrote:
The summers, usually, but not the past 3 years, are hot and dry, can
you remind me of your thread so that I can take a look, please?

My threa only refers to hedging that grows well here where I get no frost
but am very close to the sea and have salt laden winds and sea spray in some
storms. I have no idea if any of them are really frost tolerant although I'm
sure the Fuchsia are not, according to RHS book Escallonia "may"
ithstand -5C if planted against a sunny wall so not much good there either.
Here I need a chain saw to keep them both under control and they grow all
year round almost never going dormant. Sorry I can't be more help.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Ignoti nulla cupido

Old 13-08-2007, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 7:15 am, "Cerumen" wrote:
" wrote in message

oups.com... On Aug 12, 11:31 am, "Cerumen" wrote:
The summers, usually, but not the past 3 years, are hot and dry, can
you remind me of your thread so that I can take a look, please?

My threa only refers to hedging that grows well here where I get no frost
but am very close to the sea and have salt laden winds and sea spray in some
storms. I have no idea if any of them are really frost tolerant although I'm
sure the Fuchsia are not, according to RHS book Escallonia "may"
ithstand -5C if planted against a sunny wall so not much good there either.
Here I need a chain saw to keep them both under control and they grow all
year round almost never going dormant. Sorry I can't be more help.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Ignoti nulla cupido

Thanks Chris, Escallonia was the only one I could think of.

Judith

Old 13-08-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 11:43 pm, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:
wrote:
This is for France. A neighbour has asked me what she could grow for
a hedge, fastish growing.

Fastish is usually a problem when it means you have to trim the hedge
regularly to avoid depleting at the base.
First things first, though: with such a specific soil and temperature
amplitudes, tell your neighbour to have a look around and see what grows
naturally in the region, that will spare her quite a bit of trouble!

Greg
--
The flowers in the garden, the wine
The Waiting for Godot, and so much modern time

Actually Greg, it was a typo, I meant fast growing! The hedges here
are mostly laurel which she doesn't want but it's certainly a thought
to go out for a walk and see what is around, thanks.

Judith

Old 14-08-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 14, 10:45 am, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:43 pm, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:

Fastish is usually a problem when it means you have to trim the hedge
regularly to avoid depleting at the base.

Actually Greg, it was a typo, I meant fast growing!

Then it's even worse, with even more maintenance if all she wants is a
hedge...

The hedges here
are mostly laurel which she doesn't want

If they're in the laurocerasus range I can't blame her.
Also, it helps to have mixed species - tell her to have a look here,
it's a rather good site:http://jardihaie.free.fr/index.html
(unfortunately in French only).

Greg
--
The flowers in the garden, the wine
The Waiting for Godot, and so much modern time
No ficus = no spam

Thanks Greg, as she is French, the language will not be a problem. My
French is dreadful but I am going to have a look myself.

Judith

Old 14-08-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
k...
wrote:

On Aug 12, 11:43 pm, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:

Fastish is usually a problem when it means you have to trim the hedge
regularly to avoid depleting at the base.

Actually Greg, it was a typo, I meant fast growing!

Then it's even worse, with even more maintenance if all she wants is a
hedge...

The hedges here
are mostly laurel which she doesn't want

If they're in the laurocerasus range I can't blame her.
Also, it helps to have mixed species - tell her to have a look here,
it's a rather good site:
http://jardihaie.free.fr/index.html
(unfortunately in French only).

Greg
--
The flowers in the garden, the wine
The Waiting for Godot, and so much modern time
No ficus = no spam

Have a look around the area to see if there are any myrtles (now ugni and
luma as well) they all make good evergreen hedges and although they don't
like a lot of frost may be ok after a hot summer? if you can't see any I
would assume they are not ok!

Old 15-08-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

and Lapageria rosea cultivars- Hide quoted text -

Edward is out scouting with a picture to see if there are any locally!

Judith