Old 21-08-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Old pond question?

I am slowly filling in an old goldfish pond, it wasn't holding water very
well, so just a mossie-breeding very large puddle. I have been putting grass
clippings, leaves, etc. into it to make compost (which, with some soil, is
working well). However, this year it has been very wet, and the "compost"
is soggy. I think there must have been some old pond-liner left in. What
hardy perennial plants can I purchase next year, that will grow in moist
(wet?) soil. Assuming there's not a major drought next year ;o) in which
case, what would grow in both conditions?
Isn't gardening tricky, when you don't go back to scratch?.... Pinetree

Old 21-08-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/8/07 16:25, in article GtDyi.128$Pd4.121@edtnps82, "Pinetree"
wrote:

I am slowly filling in an old goldfish pond, it wasn't holding water very
well, so just a mossie-breeding very large puddle. I have been putting grass
clippings, leaves, etc. into it to make compost (which, with some soil, is
working well). However, this year it has been very wet, and the "compost"
is soggy. I think there must have been some old pond-liner left in. What
hardy perennial plants can I purchase next year, that will grow in moist
(wet?) soil. Assuming there's not a major drought next year ;o) in which
case, what would grow in both conditions?
Isn't gardening tricky, when you don't go back to scratch?.... Pinetree

Ligularia, Arum lilies, Astilbes, Gunnera manicata would fill the whole
thing, Iris ensata, Rheum palmatus, Filipendula, Caltha are all for damp and
boggy areas. We find Arums grow happily in one of our driest bits of the
garden, too.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-08-2007, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think I'll try iris and lilies, which I can transplant as they are getting
congested, and then give the meadowsweet a try. I think the other
suggestions might need some shade and my spot is too open at the mo, though
I have a rowan tree coming along nicely .....Pinetree )

. uk...
wrote:

[...]

old pond, old pump Charlie Brown Ponds (alternative) 1 04-08-2006 08:19 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Old Trees and old news P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 17-12-2003 04:04 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM