Old 23-08-2007, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hill House on tv

Videoed it this morning and just seen it. I was just mentioning to SWMBO
that when we were there in Jan, Ray and cohorts were setting big (BIG) posts
in the ground, next second there was Ray standing right next to said posts.

The place was looking a bit more inviting than in Jan. Nice to see it again.

Is that bell swinging yet Sacha?

Steve

Old 23-08-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/8/07 19:37, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

Videoed it this morning and just seen it. I was just mentioning to SWMBO
that when we were there in Jan, Ray and cohorts were setting big (BIG) posts
in the ground, next second there was Ray standing right next to said posts.

The place was looking a bit more inviting than in Jan. Nice to see it again.

Is that bell swinging yet Sacha?

Sorry, Steve, no. I don't know that it's meant to but opinions are sharply
divided on that one. As you know, it's been suggested that it's been both a
chapel bell or a buoy. In the village I used to live in there were some
keen bell ringers and they used to pour oil into the gudgeon pins ???? in
the hope of freeing it up but nothing ever happened. A lot of children
derive pleasure from going for the clapper, though. ;-)) After the 106th
DONGgggggg you get almost used to it. ;-)
Glad you thought it looked a bit more welcoming in April, even though it was
a cold day. You should see it now! A wet but warm summer has so prolonged
our already lengthy flowering season that it goes a long way to compensating
us for the rain! I think a lot of others in warmer bits of the country must
be finding that so there are definitely blessings to be had if one goes all
Pollyanna for a bit ;-))
As to the posts, Neil's ropes are strung from them and many plants are now
making their way up the posts and along the ropes. Next year should be even
better, we hope and ditto the rope trellises we got from him. One of the
great pleasures of gardening, IOO, is NOT the 'plant it and see it head for
the sky' style of gardening but the "ooooh look, we planted that border 4
years ago and look how well it's filled in now". I really do enjoy that.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-08-2007, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. uk...
wrote:

[...]

Know what you mean, as you know I do talks for garden clubs and all my
slides are taken here. I sometimes find my self distracted by thoughts like
"Did that area really used to look as empty as that"! when showing a
sequence that goes back a few years.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-08-2007, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Know what you mean, as you know I do talks for garden clubs and all my
slides are taken here. I sometimes find my self distracted by thoughts
like
"Did that area really used to look as empty as that"! when showing a
sequence that goes back a few years.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall

When we have opened the Garden to the public or when we have friends round
and they see the garden 'as it is now' and "Oooooo and Aaahh!" we show them
the photos of how it was when we moved in 20 odd years ago!!

The previous people had about 94 kids and the rest of the neighbourhood's
kids came round and about 17 dogs. Well it seemed like it!

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. New site more being added
daily

Old 24-08-2007, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/8/07 08:39, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip
One of the
great pleasures of gardening, IOO, is NOT the 'plant it and see it head
for
the sky' style of gardening but the "ooooh look, we planted that border 4
years ago and look how well it's filled in now". I really do enjoy that.

Know what you mean, as you know I do talks for garden clubs and all my
slides are taken here. I sometimes find my self distracted by thoughts like
"Did that area really used to look as empty as that"! when showing a
sequence that goes back a few years.

Exactly! I've only known this garden for 8 years and several changes have
taken place in that time and some of them are fairly major, like the two new
ponds. The big change this year has been the falling and the felling of two
macrocarpas in the church yard which has let an enormous amount of sunlight
onto that path that runs through our garden, between us and the church. It's
going to be very interesting to see what changes that brings to the shrubs
planted there and already we've noticed that a Clematis which was planted at
the base of an Azara has gone absolutely berserk and is right up in the
branches and flowering its socks off for the second time. We can't remember
which one it is, of course! But it's a sort of mix of C. jackmannii and C.
'Polish Spirit' to look at but the centre is white. However, the flowers
differ here and there. Some are 6 petaled, some four and some are much
darker than the others. I was once told that this can happen when a
Clematis is re-flowering but that was from a nursery that was trying to tell
me it hadn't mis-labeled Vyvyan Pennell!! Do you know if that is the case,
Charlie?

Old 25-08-2007, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 24/8/07 08:39, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

There are so many light centred purples I wont try and guess, but yes the
number of tepals can vary on most clematis and the colour is very different
depending on temperature and nutrient, nightmare to catalogue them.

The thing about second flowering has more relevance for the large doubles as
they are often single the second time around, but the other variations can
and do occur on both flowerings and are weather and location dependant. time
of day can also be a huge factor especially with the blues.