Old 26-08-2007, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Centradena Basket Plant

Have used very successfully Centradena Cascade as an alternative to Lobelia in
my hanging basket, would like to keep them alive over winter, have cold
greenhouse with a heated bench, Also is it easy too propagate as I have eight
large baskets to fill.
--

Lincolnshire2012.com
www.divingbrit.co.uk/games/index.php
Old 26-08-2007, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:59:20 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Centradenia isn't frost hardy but if you can keep it that way, it should be
okay. It's relatively easy to propagate, I'm told.

Have been experimenting, but would like to know if there is a full proof
method.

You could also look at
Scaveola which is a pretty blue trailer with a curious half moon flower

Thanks for the suggestion

Bacopa Snowflake which is a lovely plant and trails almost to the ground in
a well-established basket.

Have used that one, and most of the Bacopa types for the last few years, very
successful, but fancied something new.

Thanks

Old 27-08-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Derek, Centradenia is pretty easily propped by taking strong shoot
tips about 2 - 3" long, removing the lower leaves and inserting them
in either pure perlite or a 50/50 mix of perlite and multi-purpose.
Whether you use hormone rooting powder or not is up to you. I prefer
without. Keep them moist and in a humid environment (a prop case or
poly-bag over the pot) and shade from direct sun. Without base heat
they usually root in about 3-4 weeks, but with a bit of additional
warming you can shave almost a third off that time. Once growing
away, transfer the cuttings into small pots of good quality compost.
They can be overwintered at around 5C with ease provided you keep them
in a bright spot and take care not to overwater. Well established
plants need only to be kept frost-free in winter and I've had a couple
of baskets that came through winters outside for several years.

Old 31-08-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 03:14:36 -0700, Dave Poole wrote:

Derek, Centradenia is pretty easily propped by taking strong shoot
tips about 2 - 3" long,

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer, just what I required, take the
cuttings now?

Old 31-08-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Derek wrote:

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer, just what I required, take the
cuttings now?

Cuttings can be taken from June through to September so the sooner the
better. I should point out that although Centradenia has proved
virtually hardy here, my local climate is nearly frost free and it's
highly unlikely that it would survive winters outside up in Lincs.
Good luck with the cuttings.