Old 29-08-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best Gardening Book

Hi Scotnorm,

If it's of any interest (it probably isn't but I'll continue anyway!) about
two years ago, I got an allotment and began to create my own gardening book,
on computer, using MS Word. I picked up and typed in, all the information,
all the hints and tips and warnings that I could find on the Internet, in
books, and magazines, etc., in fact anywhere I could find something of
interest. This newsgroup has been a boon! I've learned a lot! Mainly how to
swear and be rude to other people but that's another story!

The "book" has an index, with sections on plants, soils, fertilisers,
pruning, pests, composting, companion planting, garden construction and a
section on what to do each month.

Hyperlinks take you to the appropriate section and each item in that section
is, similarly, hyperlinked to the relevant page. The work to be done on each
monthly calendar is written to suit my allotment and my garden.

Okay, I'm a nutter but I did this because, I got the allotment and didn't
really start "grown up" gardening (!!!) until I had been retired for several
years - that was about two years ago. Now, time is against me, and as I get
older I find I am slower at taking ideas and data in so I write it down and
can read and refresh my memory whenever I want. I can also add comments and
information, whenever I want.

I, also, did it because I couldn't find the all-can-do book that you and I
would like to have! I must have close on thirty books books but none gives
me all that I need to know and, strangely enough, it's very difficult to
find two that agree on any particular point..

I thought I'd mention it (not just to show off!) but because it helps me a
great deal and I thought someone else may find the idea of benefit. The only
problem is, I can't tuck it under my arm and take it to the allotment!

Hope this is of some interest!

Best regards,

John

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________"Sco tnorm" wrote in ... What do the forum members recommend as the best "one stop" gardening book currently available that covers all the bases from pruning to pests to planting -- Scotnorm

Old 29-08-2007, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info but I'm sorry as I have made a mistake! The book is by
A. G. Hellyer but the title is "Practical Gardening for Amateurs". Having
checked the title (I should have done that before I posted!) I checked the
dates of publication.

These we

First published 1935
Reprinted 1935

Second Edition 1943

Third Edition 1945

Reprinted 1947

Reprinted 1949

This would explain why it says, "Plant ye potatoes verily deeply in the
dibbed hole the ye have previously and righteously prepared and be not put
offeth by ye other allotment holders who do laugheth at thee for they know
not what ye be doeth"!

I must have bought this from a second hand bookshop sometime in the 1960s.

Just thought I'd let you know! Thanks again!

Best regards,

John

_____________________________________

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"John Vanini" wrote in message

The first book I bought on gardening, and thought wonderful, was
A.G.L.Hellyer's, "The Amateur Gardener" and it was my "bible" for many
years. I think it was published in the 1960s but am unsure about that. I
didn't do a lot of gardening, then, however, so it was easy to find all
the answers to my questions!

First published in 1948.

Third revised edition published in 1972

Second impression third edition 1975 ...... our copy ....

Editions 1948, 1954, 1964 and 1972

Earlier than you thought :-))

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a
Stand

Old 29-08-2007, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/8/07 13:35, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

snip
Most gardeners are used to reading books and can figure out rubbish to a
greater or lesser degree. And sometimes this group simply doesn't provide
the answers. For example, I still don't know the trick to getting my
blasted paeonies to flower and that is after asking here and using google.
I've done all the usual things with the paeonies but nothing has yet worked.
I think it's soil related but I'm darned if I can figure out what it is.

I'm probably teaching my grandmother etc. but I found this in the Peony
Society FAQ

Q: *
I planted an herbaceous peony several years ago and it has never flowered

A:
The most common reason for this is that you planted it too deeply. Peonies
need a period of cold each winter to trigger them into flowering. You should
dig up the root in October - November and replant with the pink 'eyes' no
more than 5cm below the surface. It will probably not flower next year, but
will almost certainly do so the following year.
http://www.peonysociety.org.uk/index...N_position=1:1

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-08-2007, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote
If it's of any interest (it probably isn't but I'll continue anyway!)
about two years ago, I got an allotment and began to create my own
gardening book, on computer, using MS Word.

Great idea !

Okay, I'm a nutter

All the best people are :~))
I thought I'd mention it (not just to show off!) but because it helps me a
great deal and I thought someone else may find the idea of benefit. The
only problem is, I can't tuck it under my arm and take it to the
allotment!
John

Laptop ??
Jenny "~))

Old 29-08-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:
| "John Vanini" wrote
| If it's of any interest (it probably isn't but I'll continue anyway!)
| about two years ago, I got an allotment and began to create my own
| gardening book, on computer, using MS Word.
|
| Great idea !

Except for the choice of software, of course :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-08-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:
| "John Vanini" wrote
| If it's of any interest (it probably isn't but I'll continue anyway!)
| about two years ago, I got an allotment and began to create my own
| gardening book, on computer, using MS Word.
|
| Great idea !

Except for the choice of software, of course :-)
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What do you use Nick ?
Jenny

Old 29-08-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| | If it's of any interest (it probably isn't but I'll continue anyway!)
| | about two years ago, I got an allotment and began to create my own
| | gardening book, on computer, using MS Word.
| |
| | Great idea !
|
| Except for the choice of software, of course :-)
|
| What do you use Nick ?

It depends what I am doing. I use mostly Emacs with my own ergonomic
customisations for editing, but use perhaps a dozen other editors on
occasion (as I am doing now). As far as mark-up goes, it is usually
TeX, but sometimes HTML. I occasionally am inflicted with Microsoft
formats, and the damn software gives me the most appalling RSI.

The point about my formats is that they can be converted to other
ones dead easily. I once had to convert a talk to no fewer than
THREE formats (GCAL, roff and SGML) at short notice, and it wasn't
a major strain. They also can be read by anyone.

But I wouldn't advise most people to do the same - my family are
Apple users. It is just that Microsoft software, and Word in
particular, are notoriously dire.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-08-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think i have the whole range of these - they are fantastic as a useful
reference for the novice or expert in my humble opinion.
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/8/07 15:20, in article ,
"Scotnorm"
wrote:

What do the forum members recommend as the best "one stop" gardening
book currently available that covers all the bases from pruning to
pests to planting

Rather than one book, perhaps a series of the Hessayon Gardening Expert
books, then you can pick and choose which suits your needs.
http://books.kelkoo.co.uk/cpc_5101_v...c18855927.html

Old 29-08-2007, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/8/07 19:30, in article ,
"Alan McKenzie" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/8/07 15:20, in article ,
"Scotnorm"
wrote:

What do the forum members recommend as the best "one stop" gardening
book currently available that covers all the bases from pruning to
pests to planting

Rather than one book, perhaps a series of the Hessayon Gardening Expert
books, then you can pick and choose which suits your needs.
http://books.kelkoo.co.uk/cpc_5101_v...c18855927.html

--

I think i have the whole range of these - they are fantastic as a useful
reference for the novice or expert in my humble opinion.

That seems to be the overall opinion of everyone who has used these. I
don't think I've ever read or heard a bad word against them.

Old 30-08-2007, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:

| | Or knowing how to use google/vivisimo
|
| Actually, this group is more reliable.
|
| :-)) I assume you've kidding! Given some of the amazing
misinformation
| I've seen here, I think that a search engine would do as good a job, if
not
| a better one. At least a search engine will turn up cites that don't
result
| in abuse if you think they are a load of old rubbish.

Then you should get out more. I stand by what I said.

LOL. If I was a more sensitive soul, I could consider the first sentence to
fit into the category of the type of abuse to be expected in this ng from
some. However being of robust disposition, I'll just say - Meooooow!

And I also stand by what I said, whilst recognising your right to do exactly
the same thing.

Old 30-08-2007, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
In article "FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| Scotnorm writes:
| |
| | What do the forum members recommend as the best "one stop"
gardening
| | book currently available that covers all the bases from pruning
| | pests to planting
|
| uk.rec.gardening :-)
|
| Or knowing how to use google/vivisimo

Actually, this group is more reliable.

:-)) I assume you've kidding! Given some of the amazing misinformation
I've seen here, I think that a search engine would do as good a job, if
not
a better one. At least a search engine will turn up cites that don't
result
in abuse if you think they are a load of old rubbish.

Unless you already know a great

deal, detecting the misinformation (and even propaganda) you find by
searching in that way is tricky.

But how does that differ to what we have seen here on a regular basis?

As long term readers of the ng, you and I can both identify those posters
here who are befuddled, simply will not admit that they could ever
possibly
be wrong, or that they are lacking in experience, or are simply on some
form
of strange self promotion.

Not all readers will have the skills or experience to pick out the
untrustworthy.

I have neither the skills nor the experience of gardening that the
vast majority of posters here have - but I can pick out a contrary
dishonest poster intent on a bitch fest a mile off...

The bitch fests types are easy to spot. It's the dodgy gardening info that
can be more of a problem for those who don't have a lot of experience.

Also, I can
check advice given here with a bit of googling and book research,
increasing my chances of getting it right...

Yes, I agree. I always google or read up in addition to any advice I see
here or on other gardening fora. I'd never rely solely on advice from this
group (or even one source book) as other factors (eg climate/soil type etc)
can have such an impact on plants. For example, I love Austin's Enlgish
Roses but because I know that quite a lot of them actually grow better in
Australia than they do in the UK, I would believe anyone here who told me
that one was a poor performer.

And if I get it wrong, people, most of the time, the worse thing that
will happen is that a plant which cost me a few euros will die.
Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it...

That is true in most cases but in some cases that does not apply. For
example, I'd be devastated if I lost any of the plants that I got from my
mother. She's dead and the house is gone and, even if I could replace some
of her plants, it's not the same - they wouldn't be her plants. For
insurance, I give away pups from her plants to as many people as I can and
keep a list of who got what (just in case).

Most gardeners are used to reading books and can figure out rubbish to a
greater or lesser degree. And sometimes this group simply doesn't
provide
the answers. For example, I still don't know the trick to getting my
blasted paeonies to flower and that is after asking here and using
google.
I've done all the usual things with the paeonies but nothing has yet
worked.
I think it's soil related but I'm darned if I can figure out what it is.

A proper tragedy :-)

Yep :-((((

You should ask my neighbours - their display of
deep purpley pink peonies every year has me drooling on the patio.

Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Old 30-08-2007, 05:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I don't think you are a nutter. Every keen gardener I know has some sort of
similar store of gardening info.

Old 30-08-2007, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/8/07 13:35, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

snip

For example, I still don't know the trick to getting my
blasted paeonies to flower and that is after asking here and using
google.
I've done all the usual things with the paeonies but nothing has yet
worked.
I think it's soil related but I'm darned if I can figure out what it is.

I'm probably teaching my grandmother etc. but I found this in the Peony
Society FAQ

Q:
I planted an herbaceous peony several years ago and it has never flowered

A:
The most common reason for this is that you planted it too deeply. Peonies
need a period of cold each winter to trigger them into flowering. You
should
dig up the root in October - November and replant with the pink 'eyes' no
more than 5cm below the surface. It will probably not flower next year,
but
will almost certainly do so the following year.
http://www.peonysociety.org.uk/index...N_position=1:1

Thanks for that Sacha, but before I planted them here I did some research
and found out that I should only plant them shallowly and did so.

Stinking brutes. I've limed them (which supposedly they like), I've bulk
fed them, I've starved them, I've watered them, I've held off on the water,
I've planted some in full sun and some is some shade. I've even resorted to
ringing an expert called "The Paeony Lady" (she won't sell you any of her
stock till she either inspects the site or has a detailed description
including photos from prosective clients). I simply can't figure it out but
then I am not alone in that. I know a number of seriously good gardeners
and not one of us who lives outside the village can get our plants to
flower. I'm about to try some trace elements and I might mutter about
ripping them out as I give it to them to see if they take heed of the
threat.

I used to write a gardening column for a newspaper and mentioned the lack of
flowers (in a humorous way) in one of my columns. I promptly got a call
from the chap who had bought our old Rectory in the village (where I hadn't
planted any paeonies) and he told me that he'd planted heaps and they all
flowered even after only 4 months in the ground, after being trampled by
builders etc, etc ad nauseum. I nearly cried.

Old 30-08-2007, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peonies (was Best Gardening Book)

On 30/8/07 06:14, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

snip
Thanks for that Sacha, but before I planted them here I did some research
and found out that I should only plant them shallowly and did so.

Stinking brutes. I've limed them (which supposedly they like), I've bulk
fed them, I've starved them, I've watered them, I've held off on the water,
I've planted some in full sun and some is some shade. I've even resorted to
ringing an expert called "The Paeony Lady" (she won't sell you any of her
stock till she either inspects the site or has a detailed description
including photos from prosective clients).

!!! That sounds like someone selling you an animal, not a plant! How
glorious!

I simply can't figure it out but
then I am not alone in that. I know a number of seriously good gardeners
and not one of us who lives outside the village can get our plants to
flower. I'm about to try some trace elements and I might mutter about
ripping them out as I give it to them to see if they take heed of the
threat.

I used to write a gardening column for a newspaper and mentioned the lack of
flowers (in a humorous way) in one of my columns. I promptly got a call
from the chap who had bought our old Rectory in the village (where I hadn't
planted any paeonies) and he told me that he'd planted heaps and they all
flowered even after only 4 months in the ground, after being trampled by
builders etc, etc ad nauseum. I nearly cried.

Now look, I know this sounds silly but have you asked someone else to buy
new plants and plant them for you without you handling them even once? Just
try it as an experiment. I am convinced for absolutely no scientific
reason whatsoever (which will give the brainy types here a good laugh) that
some plants just don't 'like' some people. I absolutely adore lily of the
valley, even wear a perfume scented with them but in five gardens I have
failed totally to get them to grow, while friends of mine are almost calling
them 'weeds'! I've heard of this sort of thing with other people and other
plants and there appears to be absolutely no rhyme or reason for it.
I've taken the liberty of changing the header on this in the hope it will
attract some more helpful discussion for you.

Old 30-08-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

[...]

you could be right there Sacha, I cannot grow sweet peas, now that is very
very silly :-)

kate