Old 29-08-2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes and blight - are the seeds okay to use?

Are the seeds from a tomato that has been hit by blight okay to use to grow
more plants next year or will they produce plants already carrying the
disease? I don't think the seeds will be affected but I don't know for
certain.

Regards,

Old 29-08-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Are the seeds from a tomato that has been hit by blight okay to use to
grow more plants next year or will they produce plants already carrying
the disease? I don't think the seeds will be affected but I don't know for
certain.

My guess is that the blight will not have affected the DNA of
the plant, so OK to use.

Bringing a comparison from humans infected with measles are OK
to reproduce.

Old 29-08-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Peter" writes:
| "John Vanini" wrote in message
| Are the seeds from a tomato that has been hit by blight okay to use to
| grow more plants next year or will they produce plants already carrying
| the disease? I don't think the seeds will be affected but I don't know for
| certain.
|
| My guess is that the blight will not have affected the DNA of
| the plant, so OK to use.

Er, no. A plant seed has complete cells, and is not just DNA and
inert matter. Even spores are more than DNA. But the evidence
seems to be that transmission via seed is rare, though it can
occur. See, for example:

www.apsnet.org/phyto/pdfs/2001/0904-02R.pdf

| Bringing a comparison from humans infected with measles are OK
| to reproduce.

Er, no. The mechanisms are entirely different.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-08-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

For those interested, I've just answered my own question! I searched the
Internet and found the following, regarding Tomato Blight, on the RHS
website

"The fungus can be seed borne, so do not save seed from infected fruit."

Well, now I know! I suppose they shoiuld know what they're talking about!

It sounds that it would be okay to use the seed as long as I check that the
tomato I choose does not have blight.

John