Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Piccalilli

(sp?)

I have finished a pot of piccalilli which was well above average, and had
lots of stuff in that you don't normally find (such as colour :-)). It was
made by the Bay Tree company.

I've collected quite a few suitable jars and I was going to make some, cos
there is a fair bit of suitable stuff in the plots that didn't succumb to
the various ailments of 2007 such as blight, blackfly, slugs.

Does anyone know of a decent tried and tested recipe for a sweetish, lumpy
mustard piccalilli with carrots, peppers, runners etc as well as just the
good old fashioned cauli?

I must practise explaining myself better.

TIA

Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 3, 12:08 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
(sp?)

I have finished a pot of piccalilli which was well above average, and had
lots of stuff in that you don't normally find (such as colour :-)). It was
made by the Bay Tree company.

I've collected quite a few suitable jars and I was going to make some, cos
there is a fair bit of suitable stuff in the plots that didn't succumb to
the various ailments of 2007 such as blight, blackfly, slugs.

Does anyone know of a decent tried and tested recipe for a sweetish, lumpy
mustard piccalilli with carrots, peppers, runners etc as well as just the
good old fashioned cauli?

I must practise explaining myself better.

TIA

This one seems to include a greater variety of veg (and fruit!) than
most. I am sure you can adapt it to suit whatever you have to hand.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=194445

Cat(h)

Old 04-09-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This is a good recipe which I've made with great success. It doesn't include
all the veg you suggested but there's no reason why you can't swap and
change a few to suit
yourself.http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/s...li,933,RC.html
Mel.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

As Martin says, that one is seriously industrial.

The picture of the resulting piccalilli looks a bit lame, like most
commercial ones. The one I had was full of colour, made it look a bit
"different" and much more appetizing. Ideal with a slice of gala pie.