Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fencing panels

This will probably be a stupid question but how do you fence 9ft width
of garden? I can get 6ft width fencing panels but what do you do with
the 3 foot gap?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Muddymike
writes
If its only 9 ft forget panels and use stock timber to produce your own to
fit. Mind you I think better panel mfrs produce half panels, at a cost.

Mike

Er well, as I am doing it I think I'd better look harder for the
narrower width ones! arris boards and capping and so on left me a bit
uncertain that the result would actually look like a fence when I'd
finished with it!
Googling hasn't brought up any sizes less than 6ft width.

Janet

Old 02-10-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Muddymike
writes
If its only 9 ft forget panels and use stock timber to produce your
own to
fit. Mind you I think better panel mfrs produce half panels, at a cost.

Mike

Er well, as I am doing it I think I'd better look harder for the
narrower width ones! arris boards and capping and so on left me a bit
uncertain that the result would actually look like a fence when I'd
finished with it!
Googling hasn't brought up any sizes less than 6ft width.

Janet

When I fenced my garden I purchased mine from a local fence manufacturer
(plenty in my yellow pages). He told me to fence it all except for the
last panel, when I got there measure it and go back to him when he would
make a panel that size for me to fit the gap. This I did, no problems,
it was a 2 foot plus panel needed.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Broadback
writes

When I fenced my garden I purchased mine from a local fence
manufacturer (plenty in my yellow pages). He told me to fence it all
except for the last panel, when I got there measure it and go back to
him when he would make a panel that size for me to fit the gap. This I
did, no problems, it was a 2 foot plus panel needed.

What a good idea, thought they'd only do runs of fencing. Will see if
there's any nearby.
Thanks

Janet

Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Muddymike
writes
If its only 9 ft forget panels and use stock timber to produce your own to
fit. Mind you I think better panel mfrs produce half panels, at a cost.

Er well, as I am doing it I think I'd better look harder for the
narrower width ones! arris boards and capping and so on left me a bit
uncertain that the result would actually look like a fence when I'd
finished with it!
Googling hasn't brought up any sizes less than 6ft width.

Whereabouts are you?

Fence makers will make up any panel to size if you can wait a couple of
weeks.The price will be the same as a 6' panel.
An alternative to panels would be a feather edge board fence, though it
would be more expensive, but more sturdy, and easily erected to any
length.
If you want the basic lapped panels, then a 6' std. panel is easily cut
down to any size. Just prise off the centre upright,and the end upright
pieces, refit them at the length you require, then cut down the panel,
at the side of the upright to the required length.
It takes me 10 minutes extra to cut a panel to size.
Alan.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

A.Lee writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Muddymike
writes
[...]

And if you go for either of these solutions, 2 x 4.5ft panels would look
better than 1 6ft and 1 3ft.
--
Kay
Old 02-10-2007, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

A.Lee writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article ,
Muddymike writes
[...]

As would 3 x 3', so if you get three 6' panels and modify them, you would
have 3 x 3' ones to flog to next door!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , A.Lee
writes

Fence makers will make up any panel to size if you can wait a couple of
weeks.The price will be the same as a 6' panel.
An alternative to panels would be a feather edge board fence, though it
would be more expensive, but more sturdy, and easily erected to any
length.
If you want the basic lapped panels, then a 6' std. panel is easily cut
down to any size. Just prise off the centre upright,and the end upright
pieces, refit them at the length you require, then cut down the panel,
at the side of the upright to the required length.
It takes me 10 minutes extra to cut a panel to size.
Alan.

Have a friend who is a carpenter, he could probably do that for me.
Another good idea
Old 02-10-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Muddymike
writes
If its only 9 ft forget panels and use stock timber to produce your own

fit. Mind you I think better panel mfrs produce half panels, at a cost.

Mike

Er well, as I am doing it I think I'd better look harder for the
narrower width ones! arris boards and capping and so on left me a bit
uncertain that the result would actually look like a fence when I'd
finished with it!
Googling hasn't brought up any sizes less than 6ft width.

Janet

We have 40-50 meters of fence down one side. Constructed as follows...

Fix 4" posts using postcrete (just tip in hole and add water)
Nail 3 cant rails to one side
Nail 6" gravel board at the bottom
Nail feather edge boards to the cant rails
Cut top of posts at an angle to stop rain rotting the top.

Use exterior ring shank nails to stop the wind working them loose.
The feather edge boards come the right length (eg 5'6") so no need to cut
those.

See also..
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/const...ence_rails.php
specifically..
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/const...fence/cant.gif

Hardest bit is digging the post holes.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/10/07 23:18, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Muddymike
writes
If its only 9 ft forget panels and use stock timber to produce your own to
fit. Mind you I think better panel mfrs produce half panels, at a cost.

Mike

Er well, as I am doing it I think I'd better look harder for the
narrower width ones! arris boards and capping and so on left me a bit
uncertain that the result would actually look like a fence when I'd
finished with it!
Googling hasn't brought up any sizes less than 6ft width.

Janet

Perhaps you can arrange things so that the extra 3' is in the middle of the
fencing and then use something that looks totally different to make a
decorative feecha? A fake gate - some solid-back trellis with an arched top,
upright planks chamfered to make an arch, stonework with mini-fountain
coming out of it into a bowl planted with ferns round it - sort of "spot the
deliberate mistake". ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 1/10/07 23:18, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article ,
Muddymike writes
[...]

If you're going to make a panel you might as well make a 9' one. The timbers
you need come in lengths up to 13'6" in our local wood emporium. Usually you
can get "seconds" which have enough to make 9' without the defective bit,
which you chop off and use for the fire/future projects, such as beading for
shed roofs etc. The slatting can be gleaned from old or "other sized" fence
panels, the height will be the same, it's only the length that changes. Try
freecycle for free fence panels - there are always people with more money
than sense.

Panels (as somebody said above) are a piece of cake to make, all you need is
a hammer and nails or, preferably, a decent staple gun and suitable staples,
and fix the posts (wood/concrete, even plastic) with Hanson PostFix or Post
Mix. The holes can be dug using a girlie (smaller) spade or a special spade
for digging post holes which is the same thing but miles more expensive :-),
then you chuck half a bag of mix down the hole and wait for rain, or water
it with a watering can. Tops can be made of standard capping or, if you have
access to a router table or someone who will do it for you, you can make
quite a fancy top yourself, in one length.

Make sure your timbers are tannalised or featuring a similar suitable
weatherproofing, or you will be making another fence in the spring.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes

The holes can be dug using a girlie (smaller) spade or a special spade
for digging post holes which is the same thing but miles more expensive :-),

Ha! Not in Aylesbury you can't. Much too many bits of bricks, flint and
solid clay to dig a hole without a pick axe. Also roots of brambles to
get out first as well

Old 02-10-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Perhaps you can arrange things so that the extra 3' is in the middle of the
fencing

No, sadly the garden is only 9 feet wide at the back so that's what we
have to use. Not to worry!

Janet

Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Muddymike
writes
If its only 9 ft forget panels and use stock timber to produce your own to
fit. Mind you I think better panel mfrs produce half panels, at a cost.

Mike

Er well, as I am doing it I think I'd better look harder for the narrower
width ones! arris boards and capping and so on left me a bit uncertain
that the result would actually look like a fence when I'd finished with
it!
Googling hasn't brought up any sizes less than 6ft width.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Think 6 ft and 3 ft on edge.

:-))

Depends on the look though

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.