GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Heliconia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166319-heliconia.html)

Sacha 30-10-2007 12:25 PM

Heliconia

Can anyone ID this Heliconia for us? It was given to Ray by our doctor but
he had no idea of its full name. The leaves are those of a Salvia, not the
Heliconia, BTW!
http://i20.tinypic.com/2nid1f9.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Dave Poole 30-10-2007 07:29 PM

Heliconia

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.

Sacha 31-10-2007 07:52 AM

Heliconia

On 30/10/07 19:29, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.

Overall Ray reckons it's nearly 6' when in full growth. It's going over
now, of course. I think it's H. schiedana but you'll have to see it if it's
still in flower next time you're here.

Granity 31-10-2007 11:32 AM

[QUOTE

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.

Overall Ray reckons it's nearly 6' when in full growth. It's going over
now, of course. I think it's H. schiedana but you'll have to see it if it's
still in flower next time you're here.

--
[/quote]

this is a link to a picture of Heliconia schiedeana leaves don't look the same to me.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN

Sacha 31-10-2007 04:29 PM

Heliconia

On 31/10/07 11:32, in article , "Granity"
wrote:

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.

Overall Ray reckons it's nearly 6' when in full growth. It's going over
now, of course. I think it's H. schiedana but you'll have to see it if it's
still in flower next time you're here.

Thanks, Granity. I'll try to take a pic of just the leaves tomorrow. I'll
let David Poole comment on that because they look very similar to me but it
might depend on where each is growing, perhaps?