Old 30-10-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heliconia

Can anyone ID this Heliconia for us? It was given to Ray by our doctor but
he had no idea of its full name. The leaves are those of a Salvia, not the
Heliconia, BTW!
http://i20.tinypic.com/2nid1f9.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-10-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.

Old 31-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[QUOTE

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.

Overall Ray reckons it's nearly 6' when in full growth. It's going over
now, of course. I think it's H. schiedana but you'll have to see it if it's
still in flower next time you're here.

--
[/quote]

this is a link to a picture of Heliconia schiedeana leaves don't look the same to me.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN