Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sharp sand water retention

I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the water retention of sand
when mixed with the general purpose compost you buy in a garden
centre. My experience is that, added at 25%, the mix actually retains
more water than the compost alone. Maybe this is partly due to the
sand breaking down the compost into fine and evenly distributed
particles or something.
Any thoughts welcome

Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:

| I've wondered about soft sand too. It should work in the same way but I
| suppose wouldn't break down the compost as easily when you mix it. Nice
| fine structure though.

Not at all, actually.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
David in Normandy wrote:
In article .com,
says...
I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the water retention of sand
when mixed with the general purpose compost you buy in a garden
centre. My experience is that, added at 25%, the mix actually retains
more water than the compost alone. Maybe this is partly due to the
sand breaking down the compost into fine and evenly distributed
particles or something.
Any thoughts welcome

I almost always mix around 20% of sharp sand with multi-purpose compost,
the plants / cuttings / seeds / seedlings all seem to fare better than
with just plain compost. It doesn't tend to shrink so badly and like you
say it's water retention properties seem a bit more "balanced" allowing
excess to water to drain through but holding moisture for longer.

The most noticeable effect is with cuttings, they much prefer some sharp
sand mixed in.

I've wondered about soft sand too. It should work in the same way but I
suppose wouldn't break down the compost as easily when you mix it. Nice
fine structure though.

The only concern I have with sand is making the texture attractive to
ants, which have killed off a good few of my window boxes over the years.

Personally i would avoid soft sand/builders sand as this often has a
percentage of clay and its action in compost is not what you would expect
and you will get a lot of rotting problems it can also contain lime
(which sharp sand and horticultural grit should not)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-11-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Personally i would avoid soft sand/builders sand as this often has a
percentage of clay and its action in compost is not what you would expect
and you will get a lot of rotting problems it can also contain lime
(which sharp sand and horticultural grit should not)

That's interesting, I've never heard an explanation before, thank you.

Mary

Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in
message oups.com...
I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the water retention of sand
when mixed with the general purpose compost you buy in a garden
centre. My experience is that, added at 25%, the mix actually retains
more water than the compost alone. Maybe this is partly due to the
sand breaking down the compost into fine and evenly distributed
particles or something.
Any thoughts welcome

It matters not what the actual % of water is in that mix. Of more importance
is the % of air that is in the root region. Sharp sand
/vermiculite/Perlite/wood chips will give a better aeration due to particle
size.
Your original calculations also need to compare water retention over a fixed
time and relate to w/w and take account of bulk density.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
" wrote in
message oups.com...
I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the water retention of sand
when mixed with the general purpose compost you buy in a garden
centre. My experience is that, added at 25%, the mix actually retains
more water than the compost alone. Maybe this is partly due to the
sand breaking down the compost into fine and evenly distributed
particles or something.
Any thoughts welcome

It matters not what the actual % of water is in that mix. Of more importance
is the % of air that is in the root region. Sharp sand
/vermiculite/Perlite/wood chips will give a better aeration due to particle
size.
Your original calculations also need to compare water retention over a fixed
time and relate to w/w and take account of bulk density.

Hmm. The tests I did were pretty basic, comparing how much water had
drained out of the 2 samples after 24 hours. Seems to me that sand is
able to hold water in its structure without absorbing it, rather like a
J-Cloth.
Now that I've finally found a local source for perlite/vermiculite I
might give them a try but they don't seem to offer any advantages over
sand. My garden is a bit of a wind tunnel so the extra weight is a bonus
for the pots and troughs.
I hadn't thought about the aeration issue. You can tell I'm not much of
a gardener :-)

Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
" wrote in
message oups.com...
[...]

Stuart, The professionals have been arguing for decades about the various
merits of potting media and they still do not agree :-)

water retention coykiesaol Gardening 0 12-01-2011 08:23 AM
Optimal soil composition for water retention simy1 Edible Gardening 8 17-06-2005 10:35 AM
Water retention crystals Broadback United Kingdom 4 01-06-2005 09:04 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Water retention stephane Boutin United Kingdom 2 19-04-2003 10:20 PM