GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do cuttings grow? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166440-how-do-cuttings-grow.html)

Janet Tweedy 08-11-2007 11:32 PM

How do cuttings grow?

In article , Sacha
writes

Don't worry - one of these days I'll send you some bits of Rhamnus and let
you work your magic on those brutes!

I had a Rhamnus, but gave it to another gardener who appreciated it
mo)
By the time she got it, it had various layers of shoots taken out in the
attempt to strike cuttings so she has now made it into a topiary tree
with three or four 'clouds' of growth up the stem :)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Sacha 08-11-2007 11:39 PM

How do cuttings grow?

On 8/11/07 23:32, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Don't worry - one of these days I'll send you some bits of Rhamnus and let
you work your magic on those brutes!

I had a Rhamnus, but gave it to another gardener who appreciated it
mo)
By the time she got it, it had various layers of shoots taken out in the
attempt to strike cuttings so she has now made it into a topiary tree
with three or four 'clouds' of growth up the stem :)

I think that's called 'expedient gardening'!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Uncle Marvo 09-11-2007 10:35 AM

How do cuttings grow?

, I, Marvo, say :

In article , Sacha
writes

Wonderful photo - just shows what willpower can do for you. ;-)

Oh yeah right, sod's law. Why won't those little cuttings that you
treat really well, giving them undying love and attention and just
the right conditions as per the Book, do the same?
Perhaps they should be dealt with a bit harsher, show who's Boss in
the garden sort of thing :)

I had some cuttings last year of rarish conifers and two variegated
shrubs. |They didn't die, put on growth and started to come into leaf,
but would they develop roots? Would they heck!!

Isn't that normally because you don't take the heel off in the right place?
I am having some success with a few shrubs at the moment cos I'm too tight
to buy them, and I have found what I'm looking for elsewhere so I just
stole* 6 pieces. They seem to be rooting, I've got them in peat pots so I
can relocate them if and when they get their strength up :-)

They're euonymus, which is almost certainly wrongly spelt.

* with owners permission, obviously.