GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Accelerate the compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166494-accelerate-compost.html)

CWatters[_2_] 06-11-2007 06:59 PM

Accelerate the compost

Got a huge compost heap - mostly grass clipings from a paddock. Seems
reluctant to decompose despite being watered. The inside is still dry and
dusty and look more like straw.

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now that
we have loads falling.

Derek 06-11-2007 07:10 PM

Accelerate the compost

"CWatters" wrote in message
Got a huge compost heap - mostly grass clipings from a paddock. Seems
reluctant to decompose despite being watered. The inside is still dry and
dusty and look more like straw.

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now
that
we have loads falling.

I'd be inclined to add in some well rotted horse manure and water in with
urine a very popular solution (no pun intended) on GQT. Its getting a bit
late in the year now as the bacteria are more active at summer temperatures
but covering with thick cardboard can help to maintain the heat and get the
little blighters going.
Derek

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 06-11-2007 08:13 PM

Accelerate the compost

In article ,
says...
Got a huge compost heap - mostly grass clipings from a paddock. Seems
reluctant to decompose despite being watered. The inside is still dry and
dusty and look more like straw.

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now that
we have loads falling.

There is no really polite way of putting this, but it involves drinking
lots (preferable alcohol -cider's good) and having a weak bladder and
good resistance to cold, oh and its really a job for the boys! I am sure
you can work the rest out :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Uncle Marvo 07-11-2007 10:11 AM

Accelerate the compost

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
says...
Got a huge compost heap - mostly grass clipings from a paddock. Seems
reluctant to decompose despite being watered. The inside is still
dry and dusty and look more like straw.

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves
now that we have loads falling.

There is no really polite way of putting this, but it involves
drinking lots (preferable alcohol -cider's good) and having a weak
bladder and good resistance to cold, oh and its really a job for the
boys! I am sure you can work the rest out :~)

I thought you did that very politely.

I would add that leaf choppings helps. Grass is not easy to compost unless
you mix it with summat else.

TheScullster 07-11-2007 12:01 PM

Accelerate the compost

"CWatters" wrote

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now
that
we have loads falling.

What the others have said and add Garrotta

Phil

Sheila 07-11-2007 04:51 PM

Accelerate the compost

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now
that
we have loads falling.

What the others have said and add Garrotta

and stand with your back to the wind.
--

Martin

my mind boggles, I try to visualise myself trying to balance on the top of
mine, its taller than me.....plus I'm a lady...... then some bright spark
says, why not put it in a jug........

actually, how much do we actually need? or how often!

Sally Thompson 07-11-2007 05:24 PM

Accelerate the compost

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:51:11 +0000, Sheila wrote
(in article ) :

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now
that
we have loads falling.

What the others have said and add Garrotta

and stand with your back to the wind.

my mind boggles, I try to visualise myself trying to balance on the top of
mine, its taller than me.....plus I'm a lady...... then some bright spark
says, why not put it in a jug........

actually, how much do we actually need? or how often!

No, no, it's definitely a man thing! (a) they have the equipment and (b)
they have different hormones. I'm told that Copella fruit juice bottles are
quite convenient because they have a large enough opening.

No commentg.

One man should be enough - in a compost sense I mean. Apply daily (just
watch the double-entendres in that one!).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Sheila 07-11-2007 05:46 PM

Accelerate the compost

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...

No, no, it's definitely a man thing! (a) they have the equipment and (b)
they have different hormones. I'm told that Copella fruit juice bottles
are
quite convenient because they have a large enough opening.

No commentg.

One man should be enough - in a compost sense I mean. Apply daily (just
watch the double-entendres in that one!).

ah, right, so I have to get my hubby to go out there then...... that
should save us getting a downstairs loo then!

Serena Blanchflower 07-11-2007 07:00 PM

Accelerate the compost

* Sheila wrote, On 07/11/2007 17:46:
"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
No, no, it's definitely a man thing! (a) they have the equipment and (b)
they have different hormones. I'm told that Copella fruit juice bottles
are
quite convenient because they have a large enough opening.

No commentg.

One man should be enough - in a compost sense I mean. Apply daily (just
watch the double-entendres in that one!).

ah, right, so I have to get my hubby to go out there then...... that
should save us getting a downstairs loo then!

Just tell him that it's a trendy new composting loo...

--
Cheers, Serena
Sometimes I sits and thinks... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

R[_4_] 08-11-2007 06:45 AM

Accelerate the compost

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now
that
we have loads falling.

What the others have said and add Garrotta

and stand with your back to the wind.

my mind boggles, I try to visualise myself trying to balance on the top
of
mine, its taller than me.....plus I'm a lady...... then some bright
spark
says, why not put it in a jug........

actually, how much do we actually need? or how often!

No, no, it's definitely a man thing! (a) they have the equipment and (b)
they have different hormones. I'm told that Copella fruit juice bottles
are
quite convenient because they have a large enough opening.

Sorry..........not big enough.................BTDTGTTS ;-)

Now trying a wine carafe......

'Mike' 08-11-2007 07:18 AM

Accelerate the compost

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"

wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

[...]

What about emptying the contents of a chemical camping toilet on there?

Don't laugh. Think about it. What are the chemicals there for? What 'are'
the contents?

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

David in Normandy[_3_] 08-11-2007 08:17 AM

Accelerate the compost

In article , R says...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

[...]

Old detergent bottles are good. Just pull out the pouring spout if there
is one. Extra wide neck etc. Ideal.
--
David in Normandy

Sacha 08-11-2007 09:45 AM

Accelerate the compost

In article , R says...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

[...]

I've been trying to Google the archives for Judith Lea's hilarious
description of her attempts to use nature's way. Why on earth can't I use
those blasted archives any more - they deny all knowledge of me, Judith,
compost, accelerator, stairs and even gold slippers! ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sally Thompson 08-11-2007 12:27 PM

Accelerate the compost

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:45:11 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

In article , R says...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

[...]

Searching the Google archives isn't nearly as easy as it used to be. I think
you may be referring to the posting by Jenny, subject was "Urinating on
compost (ladies only)" dated 2nd June 2001. Not sure if this link will work
but here goes:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk..../thread/493278
3711233dc8/b0c151a44156e012?lnk=st&q=group%3Auk.rec.gardening +insubject%3Aurin
ating#b0c151a44156e012

K 08-11-2007 12:38 PM

Accelerate the compost

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...

One man should be enough - in a compost sense I mean. Apply daily (just
watch the double-entendres in that one!).

There doesn't seem to be an upper limit. Best and sweetest compost I
ever made was in a mini-heap in a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft hole which took about
half the total daily output of two people
--
Kay