Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palm id

Phoenix like palm at our hotel on Madeira has puzzeled me for a few
years. www.roselandhouse.co.uk/palm.htm As it has matured it has a much
thinner trunk than P. canariensis, its not P. dactylifera or P.
roebelenii as I know them. Its off spring are growing here in Cornwall so
not very tender (although being young I am still protecting them) they
are somewhat more chunky than seedling P. canariensis.
Anyone any ideas?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-11-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Charlie, taking that one fairly clear pic of the fronds and assuming
all others are typical, it is Phoenix rupicola AKA 'Cliff Date Palm',
It is a native of the Indian Himalayan regions where it eventually
grows to 8 - 10m on cliffs and rocky outcrops in typically sharply
drained soil that is regularly drenched by heavy rainfall. The single
plane arrangement of the leaflets is unique amongst Phoenix and lend
the palm a far more elegant and exotic look than other dates.

It is one of the more tender species and can take quite a few years to
develop its slender trunk especially in cooler climates. I don't
think there is a mature specimen growing out of doors in the UK and I
doubt that it could survive a typical UK winter except in the mildest
of localities. I have one here that is one of my slowest growing
palms. It needs warm humid summers and mild, almost frost free winters
to grow at a reasonable rate. The winter bit isn't a problem in this
garden, but providing enough 30C+ days in summer is.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om,
says...
[...]

My word, I was not expecting anything so definate! Many thanks I can get
the labled now, my intention is to grow in pots and use to tart up the
tea room when its looking a bit bare.
The babies have starting feathering now (3 years old) but as you say I
have grown quicker palms!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Charlie wrote:

The babies have starting feathering now (3 years old) but as you say I
have grown quicker palms!

I've grown about several Phoenix species and hybrids over the years
and rupicola seems unique in the way it continues to produce a broad
terminal leaf blade on adult (feathered) leaves for quite a while.
Other Phoenix develop adult fully pinnate leaves after just a couple
of years, but this one stays at the half way stage for a couple of
years at least. That characteristic makes it attractive and
interesting even as a small plant - which is just as well because it
remains small for quite a long time!