GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strimmer for grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166890-strimmer-grass.html)

Uncle Marvo 15-11-2007 09:03 AM

Strimmer for grass

, I, Marvo, say :

"adder1969" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Nov 14, 10:04 am, "Uncle Marvo"

I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string
with heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a
beast.

A friend of mine said he went to a more industrial type place and
they had some carbon fibre or wire reinforced type super-duper wire
and I don't think he ever had to change it again.

Possibly Kevlar? That stuff would make great strimmer cord. Carbon
fibre is too brittle. Kevlar isn't as strong as carbon but it's much
tougher. You need special ceramic bladed sissors to cut Kevlar cloth
and even then it can be tricky. It makes the sissors twist and it
slides between the blades as if they are blunt. With a kevlar cord
you would have problems with the little blade on the strimmer used to
cut the cord to length!

One of the selling points of a strimmer is that it won't cut your legs off
by accident. I suggest if the Kevlar wire is employed, then one should think
of investing in a very stout pair of boots.

Davy 15-11-2007 09:33 AM

Strimmer for grass

I have and would recommend the Viking range of electric strimmers. Well
made; I am pleased with mine. I understand that Viking is the brand name
used by Stihl for their domestic range.

Davy

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I have been given a new lawn, and we are going to replace our old
rotary mower with a somewhat more "rifeened" version - i.e. one
with a roller, and possibly even a cylinder. Recommendations for
mains electric ones would be appreciated, but that is by the way.

So what I am asking is whether anyone can recommend a functional
strimmer (preferably mains electric) for rough lawn grass (i.e.
pasture type) and similar use. It need not handle woody plants,
and it would be better if it was fairly safe around shrubs.

I had an el cheapo Black and Decker plastic string one before,
and swapped it for a chocolate teapot :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

CWatters[_2_] 15-11-2007 09:51 AM

Strimmer for grass

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"adder1969" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure I'd like to test that though. :-)

Uncle Marvo 15-11-2007 09:51 AM

Strimmer for grass

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
this in
, I, Marvo, say :

"adder1969" wrote in message
[...]

I have done. It stings a bit.

Janet Tweedy 15-11-2007 12:12 PM

Strimmer for grass

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes

Have you thought about bolting a scythe to the bottom of the strimmer?

*Please do not take this as advice*

:-)

I'll wait for this advice to turn up in gardenbanter:) without the
proviso at the end of course!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

CWatters[_2_] 17-11-2007 08:35 PM

Strimmer for grass

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
So what I am asking is whether anyone can recommend a functional
strimmer (preferably mains electric) for rough lawn grass (i.e.
pasture type) and similar use. It need not handle woody plants,
and it would be better if it was fairly safe around shrubs.

B&Q in Peterborough are advertising 25% off a range of power tools and (I
think) garden machinery.