Old 14-11-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strimmer for grass

I have been given a new lawn, and we are going to replace our old
rotary mower with a somewhat more "rifeened" version - i.e. one
with a roller, and possibly even a cylinder. Recommendations for
mains electric ones would be appreciated, but that is by the way.

So what I am asking is whether anyone can recommend a functional
strimmer (preferably mains electric) for rough lawn grass (i.e.
pasture type) and similar use. It need not handle woody plants,
and it would be better if it was fairly safe around shrubs.

I had an el cheapo Black and Decker plastic string one before,
and swapped it for a chocolate teapot :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

I have been given a new lawn, and we are going to replace our old
rotary mower with a somewhat more "rifeened" version - i.e. one
with a roller, and possibly even a cylinder. Recommendations for
mains electric ones would be appreciated, but that is by the way.

So what I am asking is whether anyone can recommend a functional
strimmer (preferably mains electric) for rough lawn grass (i.e.
pasture type) and similar use. It need not handle woody plants,
and it would be better if it was fairly safe around shrubs.

I had an el cheapo Black and Decker plastic string one before,
and swapped it for a chocolate teapot :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string with
heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a beast. I'm
surprised it's still going, it has had some seriously hard treatment. I took
a buddleia down with it, in pieces so I could get at the root, plus a load
of nasty nettles and dock and stuff.

I also have a petrol (two-stroke) one which is good if you're away from the
mains, but it's a cow to start, smelly and downright dangerous IMHO.

Old 14-11-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I have been given a new lawn, and we are going to replace our old
rotary mower with a somewhat more "rifeened" version - i.e. one
with a roller, and possibly even a cylinder. Recommendations for
mains electric ones would be appreciated, but that is by the way.

So what I am asking is whether anyone can recommend a functional
strimmer (preferably mains electric) for rough lawn grass (i.e.
pasture type) and similar use. It need not handle woody plants,
and it would be better if it was fairly safe around shrubs.

I had an el cheapo Black and Decker plastic string one before,
and swapped it for a chocolate teapot :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I hate mains powered machines, finally got rid of my last one recently. I've
just got a Ryobi petrol strimmer from the expand it range. I got the
brushcutter combo from a local garden tool center which came with both nylon
wire and a metal brush cutter heads. Did a deal on the pruning saw (mini
chainsaw) and hedge trimmer as well. Various other combinations are
available and some sellers give away free heads.

http://www.ryobi-direct.com/acatalog..._it_Range.html

http://www.ryobi-direct.com/?gclid=C...FQZRMAodcUKF3Q

Other heads are available. I don't recommend the Ryobi hedge trimmer head
AHF03 as there is a better compatible metal gearbox version available from
other sources.

Can't be considered safe around plants though.

Old 14-11-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string with
| heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a beast. I'm
| surprised it's still going, it has had some seriously hard treatment. I took
| a buddleia down with it, in pieces so I could get at the root, plus a load
| of nasty nettles and dock and stuff.

Thanks. Actually, nettles etc. are EASIER than pasture-style grass
for strimmers, which is one reason I am not sure what to get.

| I also have a petrol (two-stroke) one which is good if you're away from the
| mains, but it's a cow to start, smelly and downright dangerous IMHO.

That's why I don't want one. My total area is c. 1000 square yards,
and I have ensured power at all necessary points; the hassle of petrol
just isn't worth it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2007, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"CWatters" writes:

| I hate mains powered machines, finally got rid of my last one recently. I've
| just got a Ryobi petrol strimmer from the expand it range. ...

Thanks, but that is inappropriate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-11-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| I had an el cheapo Black and Decker plastic string one before,
| and swapped it for a chocolate teapot :-)
|
| Can you borrow a sheep?

In my area? It would be easier to borrow a robot mowing machine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string
with heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a
beast. I'm surprised it's still going, it has had some seriously
hard treatment. I took a buddleia down with it, in pieces so I
could get at the root, plus a load of nasty nettles and dock and
stuff.

Thanks. Actually, nettles etc. are EASIER than pasture-style grass
for strimmers, which is one reason I am not sure what to get.

Have you thought about bolting a scythe to the bottom of the strimmer?

*Please do not take this as advice*

:-)

Old 14-11-2007, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
I have been given a new lawn, and we are going to replace our old
rotary mower with a somewhat more "rifeened" version - i.e. one
with a roller, and possibly even a cylinder.

No recommendations, Nick, and apologies for a derail, but how on
earth did you inherit a new 1,000 square yard lawn in Shelford ???
Old 14-11-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| You can buy a lamb for next to nothing.
|
| Sheep do turn fields into lawns quickly.
|
| First convert field to lawn and then BBQ rack of lamb.

I regret to say that I live in suburbia, and my lawn is not large
enough for a lamb. We used to use guinea pigs for that, and they
worked very well, but it was a pain having to move the run all the
time. If there was a variety of guinea pig that would also eat
invading cats[*], I should be seriously tempted to enclose the
lawn and leave it to them.

Guinea pigs can be barbecued, too.
[*] Why doesn't anyone do anything like that with GM technology?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"R.A.Omond" writes:

| I have been given a new lawn, and we are going to replace our old
| rotary mower with a somewhat more "rifeened" version - i.e. one
| with a roller, and possibly even a cylinder.
|
| No recommendations, Nick, and apologies for a derail, but how on
| earth did you inherit a new 1,000 square yard lawn in Shelford ???

Oh, no - the whole GARDEN is 1,000 square yards! I was given a new
lawn for my birthday by my wife.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-11-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 2:54 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string with
| heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a beast. I'm
| surprised it's still going, it has had some seriously hard treatment. I took
| a buddleia down with it, in pieces so I could get at the root, plus a load
| of nasty nettles and dock and stuff.

Thanks. Actually, nettles etc. are EASIER than pasture-style grass
for strimmers, which is one reason I am not sure what to get.

| I also have a petrol (two-stroke) one which is good if you're away from the
| mains, but it's a cow to start, smelly and downright dangerous IMHO.

That's why I don't want one. My total area is c. 1000 square yards,
and I have ensured power at all necessary points; the hassle of petrol
just isn't worth it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Agreement (about hassle of starting/petrol.)
renting the sheep, they recently passed a law here permitting
residential ownership of goats for the purposes of trimming lawns and
controlling undergrowth. (Incl Blackberry bushes which grow here up to
5 meters high, with inch long stickers).

Several local towns that I know of have taken to renting herds of
goats (at outrageous prices!) to control growth along highways, around
municipal buildings, nearly everywhere they used to maintain huge
tractors and gang-mowers for.

Now if we could just find an animal to eat it's way through the 30
foot deep snow clogging our mountain passes every winter...

Old 14-11-2007, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 10:04 am, "Uncle Marvo"

I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string with
heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a beast.

A friend of mine said he went to a more industrial type place and they
had some carbon fibre or wire reinforced type super-duper wire and I
don't think he ever had to change it again.

Old 14-11-2007, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
My total area is c. 1000 square yards,
and I have ensured power at all necessary points; the hassle of petrol
just isn't worth it.

1000 square yards to cut?

Have you considered a power scythe? We hired one to cut our padock that had
been wild for 4 years.

Old 14-11-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Nov 14, 10:04 am, "Uncle Marvo"

I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string with
heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a beast.

A friend of mine said he went to a more industrial type place and they
had some carbon fibre or wire reinforced type super-duper wire and I
don't think he ever had to change it again.

Possibly Kevlar? That stuff would make great strimmer cord. Carbon fibre is
too brittle. Kevlar isn't as strong as carbon but it's much tougher. You
need special ceramic bladed sissors to cut Kevlar cloth and even then it can
be tricky. It makes the sissors twist and it slides between the blades as if
they are blunt. With a kevlar cord you would have problems with the little
blade on the strimmer used to cut the cord to length!

Old 14-11-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"CWatters" writes:

| My total area is c. 1000 square yards,
| and I have ensured power at all necessary points; the hassle of petrol
| just isn't worth it.
|
| 1000 square yards to cut?

No. More like 200. The 1000 figure was in a different context.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Strimmer ? Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 1 17-04-2009 06:03 PM
Grass strimmer Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 22-05-2008 02:24 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 6 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
electric shock from my strimmer Charlieb United Kingdom 6 17-10-2002 01:31 PM