GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bitter pit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/167483-bitter-pit.html)

Alistair Macdonald 25-11-2007 01:59 PM

Bitter pit

Apparently my Bramleys are being attacked by bitter pit, and my gardening
encyclopaedia recommends "spray with calcium nitrate every ten days from
early summer until harvesting" This for me would be a mammoth task. Is there
any procedure to treat the trees with calcium nitrate to the roots?
Alistair

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 25-11-2007 06:45 PM

Bitter pit

In article ,
says...
Apparently my Bramleys are being attacked by bitter pit, and my gardening
encyclopaedia recommends "spray with calcium nitrate every ten days from
early summer until harvesting" This for me would be a mammoth task. Is there
any procedure to treat the trees with calcium nitrate to the roots?
Alistair

The advice is sound, you can of course cure the problem using control of
water, young trees are especially prone and the trick is to keep the
water supply constant. They often just grow out of it.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Alistair Macdonald 25-11-2007 07:48 PM

Bitter pit

Thanks for the advice. However my trees are 30/35 years old and although
pruned annually, are anything but saplings.They are well established, fruit
handsomely and look healthy - all the way to the bitter pit. I feel,
probably quite wrongly that there could be another remedial treatment. My
stamping ground is Kent, if it matters.
Alistair.
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

Bob Hobden 25-11-2007 10:31 PM

Bitter pit

"Alistair Macdonald" wrote

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...bitter_pit.asp

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Alistair Macdonald 26-11-2007 02:10 PM

Bitter pit

Thanks very much for the advice particularly the directions to the RHS
website.
Alistair

"Alistair Macdonald" wrote