GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Parsnips eaten alive (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/167773-parsnips-eaten-alive.html)

CWatters[_2_] 05-12-2007 09:05 PM

Parsnips eaten alive

My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do the
damage?

K 05-12-2007 09:50 PM

Parsnips eaten alive

CWatters writes
My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do the
damage?

Slugs? That's certainly the effect they have on potatoes.

--
Kay

someone 06-12-2007 10:18 PM

Parsnips eaten alive

"CWatters" wrote in message
My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the
inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do
the
damage?

It could be woodlice, they can hollow out root vegetables, as I've found to
my cost.

someone

K 07-12-2007 02:48 PM

Parsnips eaten alive

someone writes

"CWatters" wrote in message
My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the
inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do
the
damage?

It could be woodlice, they can hollow out root vegetables, as I've found to
my cost.

Are you sure they are not just utilising a cavity hollowed out by slugs?

Slugs are active at night, so unless dig your root veg at night, you
won't see them in action.
--
Kay

Des Higgins 09-12-2007 03:58 PM

Parsnips eaten alive

On Dec 6, 10:18 pm, "someone" wrote:
"CWatters" wrote in message

... My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the
inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do
the
damage?

It could be woodlice, they can hollow out root vegetables, as I've found to
my cost.

They cannot do that; they love to hang out inside stuff that was
hollowed out by something else (e.g. slugs) so you see them at the
scene of the crime but they are completely harmless.

someone