Old 05-12-2007, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parsnips eaten alive

My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do the
damage?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

CWatters writes
My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do the
damage?

Slugs? That's certainly the effect they have on potatoes.

--
Kay

Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message
My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the
inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do
the
damage?

It could be woodlice, they can hollow out root vegetables, as I've found to
my cost.

someone

Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

someone writes

"CWatters" wrote in message
My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the
inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do
the
damage?

It could be woodlice, they can hollow out root vegetables, as I've found to
my cost.

Are you sure they are not just utilising a cavity hollowed out by slugs?

Slugs are active at night, so unless dig your root veg at night, you
won't see them in action.
--
Kay

Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 6, 10:18 pm, "someone" wrote:
"CWatters" wrote in message

... My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the
inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do
the
damage?

It could be woodlice, they can hollow out root vegetables, as I've found to
my cost.

They cannot do that; they love to hang out inside stuff that was
hollowed out by something else (e.g. slugs) so you see them at the
scene of the crime but they are completely harmless.

someone