Old 17-12-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A Stately Christmas

http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk
A Stately Christmas - Images relating to this article can be viewed on
the site.

At this time of the year the gardens of the grand homes and castles of
Britain are at their quietest. Gone are the summer crowds and the
stunning botanical displays, but the gardens at this time of year take
on an enchanting atmosphere, with a wintry beauty that can take the
breath away.

We asked a few Head Gardeners what they would like for Christmas for
the gardens they tend and take a look at what is going on at estates
around the country.

All I Want For Christmas

"I would like to up date to a digital camera.This will help record the
flowering seasons and the display in the large herbaceous borders I
manage as Head Gardener at Floors Castle.These can then be down loaded
onto the computer."
Andrew Simmons, Head Gardener,Floors Castle

"All I want for Christmas is some 'stay-sharp' shears. Hampton Court
Palace has over 200 items of topiary in the Privy Garden alone and the
Maze covers a third of an acre and has nearly half a mile of paths! So
if anyone could come up with something that makes the job of keeping
them trim easier, that'd be all my Christmas' come at once!"
Anthony Boulding, Horticultural Manager, Hampton Court Palace

"As Christmas fun and festivities have now arrived at Hever Castle,
the childhood home of Anne Boleyn, I would, as Head Gardener, love
Santa to sprinkle his magic dust over the trees in our orchard and
transform the bare branches into hosts for festive clumps of ready-to-
pick mistletoe. This would instantly enhance our wonderful handmade
Christmas wreaths, which we are now producing, all with estate grown
materials."
Neil Miller, Head Gardener, Hever Castle

Christmas Visiting

*Chatsworth House, the 'Palace of the Peaks' is open until the 23rd
December, with a 'Christmas Kaleidoscope' of events, music and fun.
The house is bedecked in decoration, the farm shop doing a brisk
business and the farmyard and adventure playground has daily craft
activities, exciting entertainment every weekend and nativity
performances.

* The award winning Alnwick Garden created by the Duchess of
Northumberland close to Alnwick Castle, has a large number of events
throughout the festive period closing only on Christmas Day. There is
something for everyone from Christmas Carols, to the Boxing Day Jazz
Brunch to the masked ball in the Pavillion on New Years Eve.

*At Floors Castle home to the Duke of Roxburghshire in the Scottish
Borders, children can visit Father Christmas in his Christmas Cabin.
For festive foodies a whole range of delicious local produce is
available.
View Site

*At Hampton Court Palace, an ice rink has been constructed on the
lawns in front of King Henry V111 magnificent Tudor home. The ice rink
remains open until 13th January. A tour of the palace and spin on the
ice - a wintry day of history and hysterics!

*Sandringham, the traditional residence of Her Majesty the Queen over
the Christmas period is hosting a family Christmas festival right
through to the 6th January, with Husky sleigh rides, pantomime, ice
skating and christmas shopping fair.
View Site

*Kenwood House, a neo classical stately home, in the heart of London
is hosting a Christmas Fair in its Orangery. Open throughout the
winter with some lovely woodland and lakeside walks to burn off the
Christmas calories.

*Blenheim Palace, birthplace of Winston Churchill and home to the 11th
Duke of Marlborough in rural Oxfordshire is open for winter walks
except Christmas Day. Up until the 23rd December Christmas Trees grown
on the estate and farm shopping is available.

*Knowsley Hall, the ancestral home of the Earl of Derby since 1385, is
hosting a gourmet club dinner at the house on the 21st December,
tickets can be bought at 0151 489 4827

*Santas Train at Longleat House is fully booked for this year, however
guided tours of the house in all its winter glory can be taken
everyday except Christmas Day, between 11am -
3pm.

http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk