Old 18-12-2007, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broad beans

I noticed that some other allotment holders had
broad beans early this year, when I asked was told
that they was planted in the autumn and overwintered,
so I planted some myself this autumn.

Went to check how things was progressing and found
that the frost has knocked them flat.

Should I have done something to protect them and will
they pick up ??

There are no other gardeners about to ask this weather.

Wally

Old 18-12-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Dec, 10:42, "Wally" wrote:
I noticed that some other allotment holders had
broad beans early this year, when I asked was told
that they was planted in the autumn and overwintered,
so I planted some myself this autumn.

Went to check how things was progressing and found
that the frost has knocked them flat.

Should I have done something to protect them and will
they pick up ??

There are no other gardeners about to ask this weather.

Wally

There is an art to overwintering broad beans, and peas for that
matter. IMO you need to plant them quite late in autumn so that they
dont grow too much before the cold weather shuts them down for the
winter. Also you need to make sure that the seeds you sow are ones
specifically bred for over wintering.

With our mild autumns and soil temperatures remaining high through
October, they would germinate almost immediately, and get a bit ahead
of themselves by December. Remember that many older gardening books
were written when the seasons were rather more 'normal', and may
suggest planting too early.

There is not a lot you can do with them now, just hope for the best
and have some spring-sow seeds ready for March. Although frosted, they
may recover slowly during milder weather, although they will probably
send up new shoots from below ground.
Old 18-12-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
I noticed that some other allotment holders had
broad beans early this year, when I asked was told
that they was planted in the autumn and overwintered,
so I planted some myself this autumn.

Went to check how things was progressing and found
that the frost has knocked them flat.

Should I have done something to protect them and will
they pick up ??

There are no other gardeners about to ask this weather.

Wally

As soon as it gets warmer in the day you won't notice that they appeared to
be in trouble as they always droop in the frost or ice but soon perk up. Put
my second lot in on Sunday

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments
Best Allotment Site in Plymouth

Old 18-12-2007, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think it was a Consumer Association test I saw which compared Spring and
Autumn sown broad beans. They found that the autumn sown cropped only
marginally earlier and concluded it was not worth it.
In the autumn I throw manure over my veg beds and then roll black plastic
over them. This protects the soil structure from the winter rains and gives
me a cleaner, warmer bed in the Spring to sow into - thus catching up on any
advantage that autumn sowing may have offered.

Davy

Old 18-12-2007, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 18 Dec, 10:42, "Wally" wrote:
I noticed that some other allotment holders had
broad beans early this year, when I asked was told
that they was planted in the autumn and overwintered,
so I planted some myself this autumn.

Went to check how things was progressing and found
that the frost has knocked them flat.

Should I have done something to protect them and will
they pick up ??

There are no other gardeners about to ask this weather.

Wally

You sowed them too early - you'd probably get away with re-sowing now
as soon as this frost goes. From a late November sowing they don't
come through here until around Christmas. Newly germinated seedlings
seem to be far more frost resistant than older plants. It only gives
us a slight advance but the crop does tend to miss the worst of the
blackfly.