Old 28-12-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting Trees

Hi
We have recently moved to a house in Mid Wales (Near Brecon, Moist soil)
with a half acre garden but few trees, I want to start planting more trees
ASAP. Can anyone advise what is the earliest I could safely plant Mountain
Ash, Robinia Frisia and Weeping Willow. Any other tips on what to plant
would be very welcome

Thanks
Mark

Old 28-12-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Dec, 18:48, "Mark Stowell" wrote:
Hi
We have recently moved to a house in Mid Wales (Near Brecon, Moist soil)
with a half acre garden but few trees, I want to start planting more trees
ASAP. Can anyone advise what is the earliest I could safely plant Mountain
Ash, Robinia Frisia and Weeping Willow. Any other tips on what to plant
would be very welcome

Thanks
Mark

If the soil is well drained then you can plant at any time from now,
the earlier the better, stake at an angle leaning into the wind.
I would question the planting of Robinia, non native and wont be as
tough as the others you listed,
Why not add Cherry, Bird cherry and Crab Apple.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 29-12-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes

If the soil is well drained then you can plant at any time from now,
the earlier the better, stake at an angle leaning into the wind.
I would question the planting of Robinia, non native and wont be as
tough as the others you listed,
Why not add Cherry, Bird cherry and Crab Apple.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

The new guidelines seem to be to excavate a very wide shallow hole and
then spread the roots out around and cover with no added nutrients.
Stakes, short and leaning into the prevailing wind.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph