Old 18-01-2008, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Willow pond baskets

I've just found this and think these are things of real beauty.
http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.u...ages/large.htm

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-01-2008, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
I've just found this and think these are things of real beauty.
http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.u...ages/large.htm

They certainly are, but not for pond plants. How is the soil supposed to
stay in them? Indeed how is the soil supposed to stay in any pond plant
basket?
Why are there ever holes in pond plant/lilly baskets, drainage?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-01-2008, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/1/08 23:45, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
I've just found this and think these are things of real beauty.
http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.u...ages/large.htm

They certainly are, but not for pond plants. How is the soil supposed to
stay in them? Indeed how is the soil supposed to stay in any pond plant
basket?
Why are there ever holes in pond plant/lilly baskets, drainage?

I imagine these are intended for marginal planting because you'll see the
baskets. We weight our deeper pots with stones and of course, one can tie
bits of old sacking or nylon tights round them!

Old 19-01-2008, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 18/1/08 23:45, in article
, "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
I've just found this and think these are things of real beauty.
http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.u...ages/large.htm

They certainly are, but not for pond plants. How is the soil supposed to
stay in them? Indeed how is the soil supposed to stay in any pond plant
basket?
Why are there ever holes in pond plant/lilly baskets, drainage?

I imagine these are intended for marginal planting because you'll see the
baskets. We weight our deeper pots with stones and of course, one can tie
bits of old sacking or nylon tights round them!

I have recently gone over to making large bags out of ground cover
membrane, using synthetic yarn for the seams,(I think you can buy them
ready made) they have been ideal as you can make them the size and shape
you need, they are big enough for the plant and they do not blow/fall
over. You still have the problem with the exposed top with the marginals
but some experimenting with Bog bean is disguising that quite well! Be
aware that you can get serious amounts of soil in them so weight is an
issue
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk