GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flower ID? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170458-flower-id.html)

cupra 19-01-2008 06:02 PM

Flower ID?

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

[email protected] 19-01-2008 06:10 PM

Flower ID?

On 19 Jan, 18:02, " cupra" wrote:
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/
Any ideas anyone?

Could it be a gentian? Where was it - in a field?

cupra 19-01-2008 06:14 PM

Flower ID?

wrote:
On 19 Jan, 18:02, " cupra" wrote:
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/
Any ideas anyone?

Could it be a gentian? Where was it - in a field?

Sorry, should have added some context - it was on a bank in a shady part of
an NT garden (near some ivy/climbers).... I only took a macro of the flower
unfortunately!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 19-01-2008 06:21 PM

Flower ID?

In message , cupra
writes
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca - probably Vinca minor (Lesser Periwinkle) - but normally this has
five petals, rather than four.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

cupra 19-01-2008 06:33 PM

Flower ID?

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , cupra
writes
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca - probably Vinca minor (Lesser Periwinkle) - but normally this
has five petals, rather than four.

Thanks, it does look like it is - will have to check the other half's camera
to see if they are 4 or 5 petal in her pics...

[email protected] 19-01-2008 06:51 PM

Flower ID?

On 19 Jan, 18:33, " cupra" wrote:
Thanks, it does look like it is - will have to check the other half's camera
to see if they are 4 or 5 petal in her pics...

Yes it does indeed. Gentian is far too early for them! What is the
difference between vinca major and minor? The size? Could it be the
number of petals?

cupra 19-01-2008 07:03 PM

Flower ID?

wrote:
On 19 Jan, 18:33, " cupra" wrote:
Thanks, it does look like it is - will have to check the other
half's camera to see if they are 4 or 5 petal in her pics...

Yes it does indeed. Gentian is far too early for them! What is the
difference between vinca major and minor? The size? Could it be the
number of petals?

Not sure, but I've just checked and the other pics all have 5 petals!

Sacha 20-01-2008 12:06 AM

Flower ID?

On 19/1/08 18:02, in article , "cupra"
wrote:

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca oxyloba minus one petal for some reason, as a guess! Your description
of it as looking like a propeller is a classic.Where did you see it?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

cupra 20-01-2008 10:17 AM

Flower ID?

Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/08 18:02, in article ,
"cupra" wrote:

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca oxyloba minus one petal for some reason, as a guess! Your
description of it as looking like a propeller is a classic.Where did
you see it?

Dunster Castle gardens - along with snowdrops, daffs, camellias and even a
rose in bloom!

Sacha 20-01-2008 11:53 AM

Flower ID?

On 20/1/08 10:17, in article , "cupra"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/08 18:02, in article
,
"cupra" wrote:

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca oxyloba minus one petal for some reason, as a guess! Your
description of it as looking like a propeller is a classic.Where did
you see it?

Dunster Castle gardens - along with snowdrops, daffs, camellias and even a
rose in bloom!

That looks and 'reads' gorgeous. We're going to be having a week end in a
lovely hotel near Dulverton some time this spring and I think that will be a
'must see' destination.

--
Sacha