Old 19-01-2008, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower ID?

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Old 19-01-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jan, 18:02, " cupra" wrote:
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/
Any ideas anyone?

Could it be a gentian? Where was it - in a field?
Old 19-01-2008, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On 19 Jan, 18:02, " cupra" wrote:
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/
Any ideas anyone?

Could it be a gentian? Where was it - in a field?

Sorry, should have added some context - it was on a bank in a shady part of
an NT garden (near some ivy/climbers).... I only took a macro of the flower
unfortunately!

Old 19-01-2008, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , cupra
writes
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca - probably Vinca minor (Lesser Periwinkle) - but normally this has
five petals, rather than four.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-01-2008, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , cupra
writes
Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca - probably Vinca minor (Lesser Periwinkle) - but normally this
has five petals, rather than four.

Thanks, it does look like it is - will have to check the other half's camera
to see if they are 4 or 5 petal in her pics...

Old 19-01-2008, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jan, 18:33, " cupra" wrote:
Thanks, it does look like it is - will have to check the other half's camera
to see if they are 4 or 5 petal in her pics...

Yes it does indeed. Gentian is far too early for them! What is the
difference between vinca major and minor? The size? Could it be the
number of petals?
Old 20-01-2008, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/1/08 18:02, in article , "cupra"
wrote:

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca oxyloba minus one petal for some reason, as a guess! Your description
of it as looking like a propeller is a classic.Where did you see it?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-01-2008, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/08 18:02, in article ,
"cupra" wrote:

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca oxyloba minus one petal for some reason, as a guess! Your
description of it as looking like a propeller is a classic.Where did
you see it?

Dunster Castle gardens - along with snowdrops, daffs, camellias and even a
rose in bloom!

Old 20-01-2008, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/1/08 10:17, in article , "cupra"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/08 18:02, in article
,
"cupra" wrote:

Seen on a walk today, I think I've had some in the garden too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/2204259194/

Any ideas anyone?

Vinca oxyloba minus one petal for some reason, as a guess! Your
description of it as looking like a propeller is a classic.Where did
you see it?

Dunster Castle gardens - along with snowdrops, daffs, camellias and even a
rose in bloom!

That looks and 'reads' gorgeous. We're going to be having a week end in a
lovely hotel near Dulverton some time this spring and I think that will be a
'must see' destination.

--
Sacha