GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can you eat perpetual sweet peas? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170516-can-you-eat-perpetual-sweet-peas.html)

Sacha 26-01-2008 02:40 PM

Can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

On 25/1/08 17:22, in article , "K"
wrote:

Peter Robinson writes
Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the flowers we
enjoy are Lathyrus sativus

Lathyrus odoratus?

L sativum is the one with small steel blue flowers.

I think that's the original one supposed to have been brought in by the
Romans - not sure.

which can be very poisonous unless eaten in a
particularly careful fashion.

I didn't realise they aren't even the same genus. Oh well, back to
fending off the mice & pigeons then.

Peter

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Peter Robinson 27-01-2008 09:27 PM

Can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

Sacha wrote:

;-) They're called sweet peas because they smell sweet and the pods bear a
resemblance to edible peas, Pisum. Would you eat lupin pods, for example?
I do hope not!

Never had the urge so far, but now you come to mention it ... ;-)

Peter