GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Book recommendation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170756-book-recommendation.html)

Sacha 01-02-2008 12:06 PM

Book recommendation

At present I'm dipping in and out of 'Cuttings', a selection of Christopher
Lloyd's articles from the Guardian. It's extremely enjoyable, not least for
his opinionated remarks about certain types of plants and gardening
practices but also for the enormous wealth of information it offers. I
think it must appeal to a very wide range of gardeners.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Saxman 01-02-2008 03:09 PM

Book recommendation

Sacha wrote:
At present I'm dipping in and out of 'Cuttings', a selection of Christopher
Lloyd's articles from the Guardian. It's extremely enjoyable, not least for
his opinionated remarks about certain types of plants and gardening
practices but also for the enormous wealth of information it offers. I
think it must appeal to a very wide range of gardeners.

Around The World In 80 Gardens, Monty Don looks OK. Just received it at
a good price from Amazon.

[email protected] 01-02-2008 03:11 PM

Book recommendation

On 1 Feb, 12:06, Sacha wrote:
At present I'm dipping in and out of 'Cuttings', a selection of Christopher
Lloyd's articles from the Guardian. *It's extremely enjoyable, not least for
his opinionated remarks about certain types of plants and gardening
practices but also for the enormous wealth of information it offers. *I
think it must appeal to a very wide range of gardeners.

As a Guardian reader for over 25 years, I've read them all and I
couldn't wait for them to arrive. I'm forever dipping in his 'Garden
Flowers: Perennials, Bulbs, Grasses, Ferns'. I have to admit that I
haven't found a more thorough book than this one. His anecdotes and
criticisms are delicious.

I'd like to recommend The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. A gripping
tale of the world suffering an infestation of Homo sapiens... I just
cannot put it down. He travels around the world with very interesting
facts about our soil, our plants and our way of growing food and
flowers, combine with political and historical climate - it's a gem.

Sacha 01-02-2008 04:17 PM

Book recommendation

On 1/2/08 15:43, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

At present I'm dipping in and out of 'Cuttings', a selection of Christopher
Lloyd's articles from the Guardian. It's extremely enjoyable, not least for
his opinionated remarks about certain types of plants and gardening
practices but also for the enormous wealth of information it offers. I
think it must appeal to a very wide range of gardeners.

Thanks Sacha it is on my 'order from Amazon' list as from now.

I worked for him one vacation when I was at college - great experience
with a hard but kind taskmaster!

Jennifer

But lucky you, Jennifer! He must have been a wonderful man to work for in
terms of a steep learning curve! I find myself giggling at his remarks
about how nobody can express an opinion for fear of offending someone, so
everything has to be careful and rather bland. In this instance, I recall
he was expressing his views on bark chippings somewhat trenchantly!