Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Book recommendation

At present I'm dipping in and out of 'Cuttings', a selection of Christopher
Lloyd's articles from the Guardian. It's extremely enjoyable, not least for
his opinionated remarks about certain types of plants and gardening
practices but also for the enormous wealth of information it offers. I
think it must appeal to a very wide range of gardeners.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
At present I'm dipping in and out of 'Cuttings', a selection of Christopher
Lloyd's articles from the Guardian. It's extremely enjoyable, not least for
his opinionated remarks about certain types of plants and gardening
practices but also for the enormous wealth of information it offers. I
think it must appeal to a very wide range of gardeners.

Around The World In 80 Gardens, Monty Don looks OK. Just received it at
a good price from Amazon.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Feb, 12:06, Sacha wrote:
At present I'm dipping in and out of 'Cuttings', a selection of Christopher
Lloyd's articles from the Guardian. *It's extremely enjoyable, not least for
his opinionated remarks about certain types of plants and gardening
practices but also for the enormous wealth of information it offers. *I
think it must appeal to a very wide range of gardeners.

As a Guardian reader for over 25 years, I've read them all and I
couldn't wait for them to arrive. I'm forever dipping in his 'Garden
Flowers: Perennials, Bulbs, Grasses, Ferns'. I have to admit that I
haven't found a more thorough book than this one. His anecdotes and
criticisms are delicious.

I'd like to recommend The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. A gripping
tale of the world suffering an infestation of Homo sapiens... I just
cannot put it down. He travels around the world with very interesting
facts about our soil, our plants and our way of growing food and
flowers, combine with political and historical climate - it's a gem.