GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plastic Bottle greenhouse ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170812-plastic-bottle-greenhouse.html)

JennyC 03-02-2008 09:56 AM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Jeff Layman 03-02-2008 10:12 AM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable under UV
light. It would probably not be too long before the greenhouse
disintegrated.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Mary Fisher 03-02-2008 11:48 AM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

"JennyC" wrote in message
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

--

Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(

Mary

shazzbat 03-02-2008 12:22 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable under UV
light. It would probably not be too long before the greenhouse
disintegrated.

The rotary bird scarers I made out of such bottles lasted 3 years before
falling apart. This is interesting, and gives the kids something to do, but
it's only delaying the inevitable. In fact it can be argued that it's an
environmental disbenefit rather than benefit, since the bottles used in this
way can no longer be recycled, or so I'm told.

Steve

JennyC 04-02-2008 05:13 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable under UV
light. It would probably not be too long before the greenhouse
disintegrated.

The rotary bird scarers I made out of such bottles lasted 3 years before
falling apart. This is interesting, and gives the kids something to do,
but it's only delaying the inevitable. In fact it can be argued that it's
an environmental disbenefit rather than benefit, since the bottles used in
this way can no longer be recycled, or so I'm told.

Steve

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years before
disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer, being thicker....
Jenny

JennyC 04-02-2008 05:14 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"JennyC" wrote in message
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

--

Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !
So I'd have to beg, borrow or steal some :~)
Jenny

Jeff Layman 04-02-2008 06:47 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable
under UV light. It would probably not be too long before the
greenhouse disintegrated.

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years
before disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer,
being thicker.... Jenny

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

K 04-02-2008 09:27 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

Jeff Layman writes

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable
under UV light. It would probably not be too long before the
greenhouse disintegrated.

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years
before disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer,
being thicker.... Jenny

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.

Polythene = polyethylene. So how different? - can you point me to an
url with the chemical structure of both?

(Not doubting you, just curious).
--
Kay

Stewart Robert Hinsley 04-02-2008 09:47 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

In message , K
writes
Jeff Layman writes

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable
under UV light. It would probably not be too long before the
greenhouse disintegrated.

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years
before disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer,
being thicker.... Jenny

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.

Polythene = polyethylene. So how different? - can you point me to an
url with the chemical structure of both?

(Not doubting you, just curious).

Polythene (polyethylene) is an addition polymer of ethylene i.e. (C2H4)n

PET (polyethylene terephthalate) is a condensation copolymer of
terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol, i.e. (COO.C6H6.COO.C2H4)n

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polythene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

JennyC 05-02-2008 08:07 AM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

"Jeff Layman" wrote
JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.
Jeff

So any idea which breaks down quicker ?
Jenny

JennyC 05-02-2008 08:08 AM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

"Martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html
:~))

--
Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !

"Spa" water is sold in PET bottles.
Martin

I don't buy water either !
Rotterdam tap water came out top in a test a few years back as being top
quality ~:)
Jenny

Mary Fisher 05-02-2008 10:20 AM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html
:~))

--
Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !

"Spa" water is sold in PET bottles.
Martin

I don't buy water either !
Rotterdam tap water came out top in a test a few years back as being top
quality ~:)
Jenny

Yorkshire water is good enough for me. Eau de tap.

Mary

Sacha 05-02-2008 06:30 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

On 5/2/08 11:09, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:20:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html
:~))

--
Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !

"Spa" water is sold in PET bottles.
Martin

I don't buy water either !
Rotterdam tap water came out top in a test a few years back as being top
quality ~:)
Jenny

Yorkshire water is good enough for me. Eau de tap.

Yorkshire water is chlorinated Dutch tap water isn't. Yorkshire tap water
isn't
filtered water extracted from the Rhine.

The water here is so chlorinated that we have a filter on the kitchen water
tap and take bottled water to the bedrooms.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

David in Normandy[_6_] 05-02-2008 06:49 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

Sacha says...
The water here is so chlorinated that we have a filter on the kitchen water
tap and take bottled water to the bedrooms.

The tap water here is drinkable most of the time.
Occasionally it is over chlorinated - very noticeable after
a sip of tea which tastes metallic. It also goes brown
sometimes for a day or two for reasons unknown - possibly
someone working on the mains. We keep some bottles of
spring water for such occasions.
--
David in Normandy

Sacha 05-02-2008 11:21 PM

Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

On 5/2/08 18:49, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
The water here is so chlorinated that we have a filter on the kitchen water
tap and take bottled water to the bedrooms.

The tap water here is drinkable most of the time.
Occasionally it is over chlorinated - very noticeable after
a sip of tea which tastes metallic. It also goes brown
sometimes for a day or two for reasons unknown - possibly
someone working on the mains. We keep some bottles of
spring water for such occasions.

Our milkman brings us bottles of water three times a week, only because the
taste of chlorine is unacceptable to us. I insist that the kettle is
filled only from the filter tap and I know, always, if someone hasn't done
that.