Old 03-02-2008, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable under UV
light. It would probably not be too long before the greenhouse
disintegrated.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

--

Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(

Mary

Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable under UV
light. It would probably not be too long before the greenhouse
disintegrated.

The rotary bird scarers I made out of such bottles lasted 3 years before
falling apart. This is interesting, and gives the kids something to do, but
it's only delaying the inevitable. In fact it can be argued that it's an
environmental disbenefit rather than benefit, since the bottles used in this
way can no longer be recycled, or so I'm told.

Steve

Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable under UV
light. It would probably not be too long before the greenhouse
disintegrated.

The rotary bird scarers I made out of such bottles lasted 3 years before
falling apart. This is interesting, and gives the kids something to do,
but it's only delaying the inevitable. In fact it can be argued that it's
an environmental disbenefit rather than benefit, since the bottles used in
this way can no longer be recycled, or so I'm told.

Steve

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years before
disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer, being thicker....
Jenny

Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"JennyC" wrote in message
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

--

Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !
So I'd have to beg, borrow or steal some :~)
Jenny

Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable
under UV light. It would probably not be too long before the
greenhouse disintegrated.

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years
before disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer,
being thicker.... Jenny

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jeff Layman writes

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable
under UV light. It would probably not be too long before the
greenhouse disintegrated.

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years
before disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer,
being thicker.... Jenny

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.

Polythene = polyethylene. So how different? - can you point me to an
url with the chemical structure of both?

(Not doubting you, just curious).
--
Kay
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Jeff Layman writes

JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable
under UV light. It would probably not be too long before the
greenhouse disintegrated.

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years
before disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer,
being thicker.... Jenny

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.

Polythene = polyethylene. So how different? - can you point me to an
url with the chemical structure of both?

(Not doubting you, just curious).

Polythene (polyethylene) is an addition polymer of ethylene i.e. (C2H4)n

PET (polyethylene terephthalate) is a condensation copolymer of
terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol, i.e. (COO.C6H6.COO.C2H4)n

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polythene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote
JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

Bubble wrap is polythene. Bottles are Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Completely different things, despite the somewhat similar names.
Jeff

So any idea which breaks down quicker ?
Jenny

Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html
:~))

--
Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !

"Spa" water is sold in PET bottles.
Martin

I don't buy water either !
Rotterdam tap water came out top in a test a few years back as being top
quality ~
Jenny

Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html
:~))

--
Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !

"Spa" water is sold in PET bottles.
Martin

I don't buy water either !
Rotterdam tap water came out top in a test a few years back as being top
quality ~
Jenny

Yorkshire water is good enough for me. Eau de tap.

Mary

Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/2/08 11:09, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:20:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote
Came across this by accident :
http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html
:~))

--
Excellent - but we don't use any plastic bottles like that :-(
Mary

Neither do we - we hate fizzy sweet drinks !

"Spa" water is sold in PET bottles.
Martin

I don't buy water either !
Rotterdam tap water came out top in a test a few years back as being top
quality ~
Jenny

Yorkshire water is good enough for me. Eau de tap.

Yorkshire water is chlorinated Dutch tap water isn't. Yorkshire tap water
isn't
filtered water extracted from the Rhine.

The water here is so chlorinated that we have a filter on the kitchen water
tap and take bottled water to the bedrooms.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-02-2008, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha says...
The water here is so chlorinated that we have a filter on the kitchen water
tap and take bottled water to the bedrooms.

The tap water here is drinkable most of the time.
Occasionally it is over chlorinated - very noticeable after
a sip of tea which tastes metallic. It also goes brown
sometimes for a day or two for reasons unknown - possibly
someone working on the mains. We keep some bottles of
spring water for such occasions.
--
David in Normandy