Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Amarylis query

Hi,

We have a flowering amaryllis with 2 flower stems. The first flower stem is
now past full flourish and starting to wane. The second stem is about to
flower.
Query: Is there any benefit in removing the first waned flower to assist the
flourish of second stem flower?
Query is the bulb annual or just one off?

Regards, Pat

Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pat Sharrocks says...
Hi,

We have a flowering amaryllis with 2 flower stems. The first flower stem is
now past full flourish and starting to wane. The second stem is about to
flower.
Query: Is there any benefit in removing the first waned flower to assist the
flourish of second stem flower?
Query is the bulb annual or just one off?

Regards, Pat

The bulb will flower every year.
--
David in Normandy
Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Pat Sharrocks says...
Hi,

We have a flowering amaryllis with 2 flower stems. The first flower stem
is
now past full flourish and starting to wane. The second stem is about to
flower.
Query: Is there any benefit in removing the first waned flower to assist
the
flourish of second stem flower?
Query is the bulb annual or just one off?

Regards, Pat

The bulb will flower every year.
--
David in Normandy

I would remove the stem only after it starts to die down. The other stem
will keep going better if you dont bruise living tissue.
When it has finished flowering, still take care of it, after a few years the
bulb will be too big for the pot, they like to be pot bound, but there are
limits! So re pot it in fresh compost, when you change the compost you
will/might/should get little bulblets on the side of it, which can be
propagated if you are very careful with them, then you will have a lot of
amarylis!

John

Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John T" wrote in message

[...]

You should let them die right down later after flowering and i always repot
them. If they don't die down they don't always flower each year

Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/2/08 16:47, in article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

"John T" wrote in message

[...]

I would like to, also, that in my admittedly limited experience, they seem
to do better if pot bound. Presumably, this puts the plants under some kind
of stress, so it flowers more munificently.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

another phal query rick Orchids 1 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
B & D lubrication query Flynn United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 05:44 PM
Phytatray query rick Orchids 0 25-01-2003 05:34 PM
Leek query? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 05:29 PM