GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Titan Shredder (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170951-titan-shredder.html)

hzatph[_2_] 09-02-2008 03:18 PM

Titan Shredder

Our conutax shredder has collapsed for a second timme and we are
waiting for a quote for a new shaft etc.

Does anyone have any experience of shredder like this one form Titan
http://tinyurl.com/37jyve (redirects to
http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/stock_13_...66_28.aspx?cp=
). The you-tube video looks very impressive compared to the Countax
machine. If the repair is expensive I would be tempted to pick up one
of these instead.

Thanks

Nick Maclaren 09-02-2008 05:26 PM

Titan Shredder

In article ,
hzatph writes:
| Our conutax shredder has collapsed for a second timme and we are
| waiting for a quote for a new shaft etc.
|
| Does anyone have any experience of shredder like this one form Titan
| http://tinyurl.com/37jyve (redirects to
| http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/stock_13_...66_28.aspx?cp=
| ). The you-tube video looks very impressive compared to the Countax
| machine. If the repair is expensive I would be tempted to pick up one
| of these instead.

It looks very like the one used by a friend that we visited. An El
Cheapo pseudo-professional monstrosity, which made a hell of a racket
and needed unjamming every few minutes.

You should ask yourself why it is only twice the price of a Bosch
2200, which is a vastly simpler construction (hence much cheaper to
make) and a much lower specification. Also, if that Web page is
displaying correctly, it claims to be able to chip 26 cubic metres
an hour - even at a very low aggregate density, that is several
TONS an hour and the best part of a metre/second feed rate at 75 mm
diameter and 50% packing density!

Lots of us on this group can witness that the Bosch is a good machine.
That device looks like sucker bait. Do you REALLY need to chip
branches of firewood size and/or cubic metres of material a day?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

hzatph[_2_] 11-02-2008 12:27 AM

Titan Shredder

Thanks for the useful information. We do have a lot of stuff to shred
(which can easily get to 2" in diameter - anything larger goes on the
fire. 2" is the maximum practical size to get into a 3" shredder
taking into account bumps, bends etc). A cubic metre is a typical
session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
so we do need a decent machine. I did wonder about the price which is
why I asked the question - unknown brand, unstated engine
manufacturer, a seemingly large throat to take brash in (which is
useful) and the video suggests it works better.

Any other experiences welcome - thank you.

Granity 11-02-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hzatph[_2_] (Post 774169)
Thanks for the useful information. We do have a lot of stuff to shred
(which can easily get to 2" in diameter - anything larger goes on the
fire. 2" is the maximum practical size to get into a 3" shredder
taking into account bumps, bends etc). A cubic metre is a typical
session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
so we do need a decent machine. I did wonder about the price which is
why I asked the question - unknown brand, unstated engine
manufacturer, a seemingly large throat to take brash in (which is
useful) and the video suggests it works better.

Any other experiences welcome - thank you.

They are made in China, if you google the engine number you'll find lots of sites selling those shredders.

Nick Maclaren 11-02-2008 05:00 PM

Titan Shredder

In article ,
hzatph writes:

| A cubic metre is a typical
| session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
| so we do need a decent machine.

A cubic metre of SHREDDED material? That will be about 1/4 tonne, and
will compost down to about 50 Kg. That's a hell of a lot. A cubic metre
of random branches isn't all that much, but isn't what I was referring
to - nor what the Web page should have been, unless it was trying to
deceive. The Bosch 2200 claims 140 Kg/hour, which is about 2 hours for
a cubic metre of shredded material.

Frankly, if you really have so much of less than 2" that it is too time
consuming to cut the 1"+ stuff up for burning, and regularly generate
a cubic metre of shredded material, get a proper commercial machine.
No "domestic use only" machine will stand up to it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

hzatph[_2_] 13-02-2008 11:14 PM

Titan Shredder

On 11 Feb, 17:00, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,hzatph writes:

| A cubic metre is a typical
| session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
| so we do need a decent machine.

A cubic metre of SHREDDED material? *

No, this is the volume pre-shredding. It is far more dense than random
branches though; I guess we are producing 250-400 litres of shredded
material in a long session - we have 3/4 acre of garden.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 14-02-2008 08:56 AM

Titan Shredder

In article 9d11ed73-cef3-4d4e-badb-
, says...
In article ,hzatph writes:

| A cubic metre is a typical
| session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
| so we do need a decent machine.

A cubic metre of SHREDDED material? *

No, this is the volume pre-shredding. It is far more dense than random
branches though; I guess we are producing 250-400 litres of shredded
material in a long session - we have 3/4 acre of garden.

We have a one acre garden and produce around 7 cubic metres of shreddings
a year with a Bosch 2200, indeed we shred for other people as well,
anything it wont shred goes on our fire, its also quiet enough to be able
to speak to one another while using it. I would not consider anything
else unless I had seen the machine working and spoken to a happy
customer.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk