Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titan Shredder

Our conutax shredder has collapsed for a second timme and we are
waiting for a quote for a new shaft etc.

Does anyone have any experience of shredder like this one form Titan
http://tinyurl.com/37jyve (redirects to
http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/stock_13_...66_28.aspx?cp=
). The you-tube video looks very impressive compared to the Countax
machine. If the repair is expensive I would be tempted to pick up one
of these instead.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
hzatph writes:
| Our conutax shredder has collapsed for a second timme and we are
| waiting for a quote for a new shaft etc.
|
| Does anyone have any experience of shredder like this one form Titan
| http://tinyurl.com/37jyve (redirects to
| http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/stock_13_...66_28.aspx?cp=
| ). The you-tube video looks very impressive compared to the Countax
| machine. If the repair is expensive I would be tempted to pick up one
| of these instead.

It looks very like the one used by a friend that we visited. An El
Cheapo pseudo-professional monstrosity, which made a hell of a racket
and needed unjamming every few minutes.

You should ask yourself why it is only twice the price of a Bosch
2200, which is a vastly simpler construction (hence much cheaper to
make) and a much lower specification. Also, if that Web page is
displaying correctly, it claims to be able to chip 26 cubic metres
an hour - even at a very low aggregate density, that is several
TONS an hour and the best part of a metre/second feed rate at 75 mm
diameter and 50% packing density!

Lots of us on this group can witness that the Bosch is a good machine.
That device looks like sucker bait. Do you REALLY need to chip
branches of firewood size and/or cubic metres of material a day?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the useful information. We do have a lot of stuff to shred
(which can easily get to 2" in diameter - anything larger goes on the
fire. 2" is the maximum practical size to get into a 3" shredder
taking into account bumps, bends etc). A cubic metre is a typical
session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
so we do need a decent machine. I did wonder about the price which is
why I asked the question - unknown brand, unstated engine
manufacturer, a seemingly large throat to take brash in (which is
useful) and the video suggests it works better.

Any other experiences welcome - thank you.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzatph[_2_] View Post
Thanks for the useful information. We do have a lot of stuff to shred
(which can easily get to 2" in diameter - anything larger goes on the
fire. 2" is the maximum practical size to get into a 3" shredder
taking into account bumps, bends etc). A cubic metre is a typical
session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
so we do need a decent machine. I did wonder about the price which is
why I asked the question - unknown brand, unstated engine
manufacturer, a seemingly large throat to take brash in (which is
useful) and the video suggests it works better.

Any other experiences welcome - thank you.
They are made in China, if you google the engine number you'll find lots of sites selling those shredders.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
hzatph writes:

| A cubic metre is a typical
| session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
| so we do need a decent machine.

A cubic metre of SHREDDED material? That will be about 1/4 tonne, and
will compost down to about 50 Kg. That's a hell of a lot. A cubic metre
of random branches isn't all that much, but isn't what I was referring
to - nor what the Web page should have been, unless it was trying to
deceive. The Bosch 2200 claims 140 Kg/hour, which is about 2 hours for
a cubic metre of shredded material.

Frankly, if you really have so much of less than 2" that it is too time
consuming to cut the 1"+ stuff up for burning, and regularly generate
a cubic metre of shredded material, get a proper commercial machine.
No "domestic use only" machine will stand up to it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-02-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Feb, 17:00, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,hzatph writes:

| A cubic metre is a typical
| session and there is about twice that waiting to be done at the moment
| so we do need a decent machine.

A cubic metre of SHREDDED material? *

No, this is the volume pre-shredding. It is far more dense than random
branches though; I guess we are producing 250-400 litres of shredded
material in a long session - we have 3/4 acre of garden.

Titan Multi-tool - Screwfix Deal - Is Titan Kit Quality Stuff ? CocoGibbo United Kingdom 4 17-07-2015 11:34 PM
When is a shredder not a shredder - when it's a crusher! Dave United Kingdom 1 11-09-2006 09:11 AM
Titan 800 Fittings? john Ponds 2 28-08-2005 11:00 AM
Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) David Hill United Kingdom 1 05-07-2004 08:03 PM
Oase AquaMax vs Cyprio Titan? Pat Ponds 0 19-06-2004 07:04 AM