Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Solar-powered mole repellers?

Can anyone recommend a solar-powered mole repeller? A link to a pic
would be appreciated. Any info on the actual effective range of the
device would also be appreciated.

Failing that, does anyone have any other effective methods for keeping
moles at bay? They are making sizeable heaps of earth on my lawn...

Thanks,

JD
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

says...

Can anyone recommend a solar-powered mole repeller? A link to a pic
would be appreciated. Any info on the actual effective range of the
device would also be appreciated.

Failing that, does anyone have any other effective methods for keeping
moles at bay? They are making sizeable heaps of earth on my lawn...

Thanks,

JD

This is a regular topic on here. Many of us have mole
problems and unfortunately moles can be very difficult to
get rid of. I think the general consensus is that the ultra
sonic mole scarers are more gimmick than real benefit.
If your lawn is near to open fields then the problem is
that even if you get rid of your mole(s) they are
territorial and the vacant mole residence will soon be
inhabited again. I've tried everything from repellents to
poison, to gassing to sharp stuff etc, etc, etc.

The only truly successful thing to do is trap them. I
bought a few scissor type traps three weeks ago and have
killed two of the little buggers already. The difficult bit
seems to be laying the traps in the correct place and in
the correct way. Best to look for the smallest ridges in
the lawn (not the hills) where a small amount of earth has
been raised and to dig there. You will find a tunnel. Place
trap there.

Whatever solution, you may need to persist - it is an
ongoing war.

--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:55:59 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

Whatever solution, you may need to persist - it is an
ongoing war.

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I should have googled first; I see
you are right about it being a regular topic here. Your reply seems to
summarise the solution options nicely, so thank you for saving me a
lot of research. Yes, the lawn is indeed right next to open fields!
Perhaps a pet owl or a predatory cat might is the answer...

JD

Old 11-02-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:53:30 +0000, Jake D wrote:

Perhaps a pet owl or a predatory cat might is the answer...

Trouble is moles rarely come to the surface. Our cat hasn't got our mole
yet, regulary comes in with voles or shrews and has now started on the
rabbits...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Feb, 15:57, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:53:30 +0000, Jake D wrote:
Perhaps a pet owl or a predatory cat might is the answer...

Trouble is moles rarely come to the surface. Our cat hasn't got our mole
yet, regulary comes in with voles or shrews and has now started on the
rabbits...

Time to worry when she tries to get a sheep through the catflap.