Old 19-02-2008, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default To coppice or not to coppice?

I have a self-sown, or more likely squirrel-sown hazel on my
allotment. Last year I cut off the longest branches (rather spindly)
to use as pea-sticks. I have just made a second cut this week.
It now looks a mess, and I think it might be right to coppice it.

Any advice? When to cut, how close to soil etc, or should it have a
few more years growth to thicken up? It's only a few years old and
was about 8 ft before I cut it this week, and now about 6 ft.

Perhaps I should let it grow to give a crop of nuts in a few years.
No sign of catkins as yet, but I've not given it much of a chance!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-02-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| I have a self-sown, or more likely squirrel-sown hazel on my
| allotment. Last year I cut off the longest branches (rather spindly)
| to use as pea-sticks. I have just made a second cut this week.
| It now looks a mess, and I think it might be right to coppice it.
|
| Any advice? When to cut, how close to soil etc, or should it have a
| few more years growth to thicken up? It's only a few years old and
| was about 8 ft before I cut it this week, and now about 6 ft.

As close as you feel like. It will reshoot both from old wood and
from its rootstock. I don't know when to start, but would guess
that it would be fine.

| Perhaps I should let it grow to give a crop of nuts in a few years.
| No sign of catkins as yet, but I've not given it much of a chance!!!

Well, I coppiced some of mine a few weeks ago - but it was 20+ years
old, and some of the stems were 6"+ across.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-02-2008, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 19, 5:54*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
I have a self-sown, or more likely squirrel-sown hazel on my
allotment. *Last year I cut off the longest branches (rather spindly)
to use as pea-sticks. *I have just made a second cut this week.
It now looks a mess, and I think it might be right to coppice it.

Any advice? *When to cut, how close to soil etc, or should it have a
few more years growth to thicken up? *It's only a few years old and
was about 8 ft before I cut it this week, and now about 6 ft.

Perhaps I should let it grow to give a crop of nuts in a few years.
No sign of catkins as yet, but I've not given it much of a chance!!!

Pam in Bristol

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics.
Old 20-02-2008, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 19, 5:54*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
I have a self-sown, or more likely squirrel-sown hazel on my
allotment. *Last year I cut off the longest branches (rather spindly)
to use as pea-sticks. *I have just made a second cut this week.
It now looks a mess, and I think it might be right to coppice it.

Any advice? *When to cut, how close to soil etc, or should it have a
few more years growth to thicken up? *It's only a few years old and
was about 8 ft before I cut it this week, and now about 6 ft.

Perhaps I should let it grow to give a crop of nuts in a few years.
No sign of catkins as yet, but I've not given it much of a chance!!!

Pam in Bristol

Sounds interesting. May have to ponder that one.
Old 20-02-2008, 03:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 19, 5:54*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
I have a self-sown, or more likely squirrel-sown hazel on my
allotment. *Last year I cut off the longest branches (rather spindly)
to use as pea-sticks. *I have just made a second cut this week.
It now looks a mess, and I think it might be right to coppice it.

Any advice? *When to cut, how close to soil etc, or should it have a
few more years growth to thicken up? *It's only a few years old and
was about 8 ft before I cut it this week, and now about 6 ft.

Perhaps I should let it grow to give a crop of nuts in a few years.
No sign of catkins as yet, but I've not given it much of a chance!!!

Pam in Bristol

I am sorry that I can't give you any advice. I am using your blog to
complete an homework assignment. Thanks for being a good example.

Old 20-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Feb 19, 5:54*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
I have a self-sown, or more likely squirrel-sown hazel on my
allotment. *Last year I cut off the longest branches (rather spindly)
to use as pea-sticks. *I have just made a second cut this week.
It now looks a mess, and I think it might be right to coppice it.

Any advice? *When to cut, how close to soil etc, or should it have a
few more years growth to thicken up? *It's only a few years old and
was about 8 ft before I cut it this week, and now about 6 ft.

Perhaps I should let it grow to give a crop of nuts in a few years.
No sign of catkins as yet, but I've not given it much of a chance!!!

Pam in Bristol

I am sorry that I can't give you any advice. I am using your blog to
complete an homework assignment. Thanks for being a good example.
Cut it low and then let it grow for a few years. You can use some of the smaller side branches for peas, as the main branches thicken they can be used for beans, and anything bigger can be used as handles for rakes, hoes etc. I use one for a rake handle which is 8 foot long - saves a lot of work. By the time the branches are that big you should have had some catkins and nuts.
Old 21-02-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:52:46 +0000, Bigal
wrote:

;775463 Wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you both. very helpful info.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-02-2008, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
I have a self-sown, or more likely squirrel-sown hazel on my
allotment. Last year I cut off the longest branches (rather spindly)
to use as pea-sticks. I have just made a second cut this week.
It now looks a mess, and I think it might be right to coppice it.

Any advice? When to cut, how close to soil etc, or should it have a
few more years growth to thicken up? It's only a few years old and
was about 8 ft before I cut it this week, and now about 6 ft.

Perhaps I should let it grow to give a crop of nuts in a few years.
No sign of catkins as yet, but I've not given it much of a chance!!!

I also have one. I tend to take out about 1/4 of the stems each year.
That means I always have some catkins/nuts and I get a few poles/twigs
each year for around the garden.