GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frog spawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171353-frog-spawn.html)

PB 25-02-2008 08:47 AM

Frog spawn

Last night I spotted the first lot of frogspawn in my pond. I don't
recall any as early as this before.

Instep[_2_] 25-02-2008 09:50 AM

Frog spawn

Our frogspawn arrived a month early this year.
Ann

. ..

Sacha[_3_] 25-02-2008 01:51 PM

Frog spawn

On 25/2/08 08:47, in article ,
"pb" wrote:

Last night I spotted the first lot of frogspawn in my pond. I don't
recall any as early as this before.

Yes, we have some here, too and it's early for us. And it's in a
new-to-frog-spawn pond, which is excellent news.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Tom Gardner 25-02-2008 02:34 PM

Frog spawn

pb wrote in
:

Last night I spotted the first lot of frogspawn in my pond. I don't
recall any as early as this before.

Ours arrived just over a week ago, in a small
pond (1'*3'*18") near Bristol. If you walk
quietly but fast past the pond, the surface
"explodes" when the frogs spot you.

Doesn't half wake you up when you are half-awake
making the bleary-eyed walk to let the chickens out.

'Mike' 25-02-2008 04:12 PM

Frog spawn

"pb" wrote in message
. ..
Last night I spotted the first lot of frogspawn in my pond. I don't
recall any as early as this before.

We have a large dish out on the gravel part of the gardens for the birds to
bath and 'play' in. Question. If Frog Spawn appears, would the birds eat it
or ignore it or stay away?

(One Blackbird and Three Sparrows having a bath at the same time is the
record ''total occupancy'') :-)

Mike

robert 25-02-2008 09:47 PM

Frog spawn

In message , Sacha
writes
On 25/2/08 08:47, in article ,
"pb" wrote:

Last night I spotted the first lot of frogspawn in my pond. I don't
recall any as early as this before.

Yes, we have some here, too and it's early for us. And it's in a
new-to-frog-spawn pond, which is excellent news.

Whilst our first frogs were spotted on 19 January (21 days earlier than
last year) the first spawn arrived 10 days later than last year, on 23
February.

--
Robert

JW[_1_] 26-02-2008 10:33 PM

Frog spawn

Last few days at least 3 pairs of frogs mating. Today, frog spawn & more
pairs of frogs.. I think I counted over 5 pairs last year. A right
orgy!

JW

My Blog at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/sw33tf00l/

[email protected] 27-02-2008 12:12 AM

Frog spawn

We discovered frog spawn in our pond last week - four days earlier
than last year.

Kristina
on the Black Isle north of Inverness

www.spanglefish.com/oldorchard

brian mitchell 27-02-2008 01:47 AM

Frog spawn

speaking of globular formations in pond water, in a small pond fed by a
very silty stream I noticed a cluster of silt-covered lumps, each about
the size of a grape, the whole cluster about the size of a cantaloupe,
anchored at one end to the mud, waving freely and gently at the other. I
didn't like to commit any invasive investigation, does anyone know what
this is? Someone's home? Someone's family?

Brian Mitchell

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 27-02-2008 08:34 AM

Frog spawn

In article ,
says...
speaking of globular formations in pond water, in a small pond fed by a
very silty stream I noticed a cluster of silt-covered lumps, each about
the size of a grape, the whole cluster about the size of a cantaloupe,
anchored at one end to the mud, waving freely and gently at the other. I
didn't like to commit any invasive investigation, does anyone know what
this is? Someone's home? Someone's family?

Brian Mitchell

Sounds like frog spawn
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

K 10-03-2008 12:34 PM

Frog spawn

JW writes
Last few days at least 3 pairs of frogs mating. Today, frog spawn & more
pairs of frogs.. I think I counted over 5 pairs last year. A right
orgy!

That's not an orgy! We counted 169, not necessarily confining themselves
to pairs ;-)
--
Kay