GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Toad Hall (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171525-toad-hall.html)

Sacha[_3_] 02-03-2008 10:31 PM

Toad Hall

The toads are taking their turn now. It's quite interesting because the
frogs have gone very quiet....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_128_] 03-03-2008 08:27 AM

Toad Hall

"Sacha" wrote in message
The toads are taking their turn now. It's quite interesting because the
frogs have gone very quiet....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

..... and I've got frog spawn now, do the newts eat it, any idea?

--
Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods.
Cats have never forgotten this.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 03-03-2008 11:30 AM

Toad Hall

In article ,
says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
The toads are taking their turn now. It's quite interesting because the
frogs have gone very quiet....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

.... and I've got frog spawn now, do the newts eat it, any idea?

They don't eat the spawn but will eat the tadpoles at all stages, we
still seem to have lots of frog and toadlets dispite the birds, fish and
newts so I just let nature take it course. At least the adults get to
breed without having to dodge the grass snakes which raid the pond all
summer!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

'Mike' 03-03-2008 01:47 PM

Toad Hall

"Martin" wrote in message

.... and I've got frog spawn now, do the newts eat it, any idea?

We used to have it at school dinners
--

Martin

So did we and I loved it :-))

My wife doesn't like it :-(( so it's not on our menu :-(( nor Semolina :-(

Mike

Baal 04-03-2008 08:37 PM

Toad Hall

Put a small pond on my allotment but no frogs last year or this! Want to
kill those snails/slugs without chemicals!

Apart from stealing frogs, any ideas on how I can encourage them?

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk

Sacha[_3_] 04-03-2008 10:32 PM

Toad Hall

On 4/3/08 20:37, in article ,
"Baal" wrote:

Put a small pond on my allotment but no frogs last year or this! Want to
kill those snails/slugs without chemicals!

Apart from stealing frogs, any ideas on how I can encourage them?

Some spawn from a nearby pond, perhaps? Two of our ponds are newish and had
no spawn last year but both have large clumps of it this year, so presumably
the frogs and toads found it for themselves quite happily. Their habitat
is in decline so they may need some encouragement to find it. If it isn't
dangerous to local frog communities to introduce spawn - IF - taking some
from a friend's pond to yours might be a start.

K 10-03-2008 05:16 PM

Toad Hall

Baal writes
Put a small pond on my allotment but no frogs last year or this! Want to
kill those snails/slugs without chemicals!

Apart from stealing frogs, any ideas on how I can encourage them?

You need to provide acceptable habitat around the pond - basically damp
foliage area for foraging, ideally not too isolated from other frog
habitats. Might be difficult in an allotment environment.
--
Kay