Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Toad Hall

The toads are taking their turn now. It's quite interesting because the
frogs have gone very quiet....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
The toads are taking their turn now. It's quite interesting because the
frogs have gone very quiet....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

..... and I've got frog spawn now, do the newts eat it, any idea?

--
Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods.
Cats have never forgotten this.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
The toads are taking their turn now. It's quite interesting because the
frogs have gone very quiet....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

.... and I've got frog spawn now, do the newts eat it, any idea?

They don't eat the spawn but will eat the tadpoles at all stages, we
still seem to have lots of frog and toadlets dispite the birds, fish and
newts so I just let nature take it course. At least the adults get to
breed without having to dodge the grass snakes which raid the pond all
summer!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

.... and I've got frog spawn now, do the newts eat it, any idea?

We used to have it at school dinners
--

Martin

So did we and I loved it :-))

My wife doesn't like it :-(( so it's not on our menu :-(( nor Semolina :-(

Mike

Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Put a small pond on my allotment but no frogs last year or this! Want to
kill those snails/slugs without chemicals!

Apart from stealing frogs, any ideas on how I can encourage them?

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/3/08 20:37, in article ,
"Baal" wrote:

Put a small pond on my allotment but no frogs last year or this! Want to
kill those snails/slugs without chemicals!

Apart from stealing frogs, any ideas on how I can encourage them?

Some spawn from a nearby pond, perhaps? Two of our ponds are newish and had
no spawn last year but both have large clumps of it this year, so presumably
the frogs and toads found it for themselves quite happily. Their habitat
is in decline so they may need some encouragement to find it. If it isn't
dangerous to local frog communities to introduce spawn - IF - taking some
from a friend's pond to yours might be a start.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Baal writes
Put a small pond on my allotment but no frogs last year or this! Want to
kill those snails/slugs without chemicals!

Apart from stealing frogs, any ideas on how I can encourage them?

You need to provide acceptable habitat around the pond - basically damp
foliage area for foraging, ideally not too isolated from other frog
habitats. Might be difficult in an allotment environment.
--
Kay

Toad hall and other nurseries Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 0 30-09-2009 03:36 PM
The first toad. BOO HOO!!!!!!! jammer Ponds 17 12-04-2003 07:32 AM
Toad Beak 21 Ponds (alternative) 1 26-03-2003 08:32 PM
Frog, toad and newt spawn Annabel United Kingdom 9 08-03-2003 05:45 PM
to "Toad" Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 1 04-02-2003 01:19 AM