GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoes in Greenhouse (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171583-tomatoes-greenhouse.html)

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_129_] 05-03-2008 09:10 AM

Tomatoes in Greenhouse

I'm rather new to greenhouse gardening and am wondering whether my potted on
tomato seedlings would be ok in a cold greenhouse where they are to be
planted in due course? I notice that since I potted them on and moved them
to a cooler bay window they are looking stronger.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Emrys Davies 05-03-2008 10:56 AM

Tomatoes in Greenhouse

Place them in a cold greenhouse in Mid April, but you can place them
there now if you can maintain a temperature of about 55% F. As a matter
if interest, what is the temperature in you bay window at about 2 am on
a coldish night?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in
message ...

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² 05-03-2008 11:37 AM

Tomatoes in Greenhouse

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:10:13 -0000, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote and included this (or some
of this):

I'm rather new to greenhouse gardening and am wondering whether my potted on
tomato seedlings would be ok in a cold greenhouse where they are to be
planted in due course? I notice that since I potted them on and moved them
to a cooler bay window they are looking stronger.

I shall be from this weekend be putting some trays of potted-on toms
into the greenhouse (during the sunny days only) to take advantage of
the light. I shall bring then into the conservatory at night, but
they're not going to get their little feet into greenhouse soil for
about 4-5 weeks yet. And they'll get a bit of paraffin heater help
overnight for the first week

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Dave Hill 05-03-2008 12:02 PM

Tomatoes in Greenhouse

On 5 Mar, 09:10, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
I'm rather new to greenhouse gardening and am wondering whether my potted on
tomato seedlings would be ok in a cold greenhouse where they are to be
planted in due course? I notice that since I potted them on and moved them
to a cooler bay window they are looking stronger.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Associationwww.rraa.moonfruit.com

Remember if you close the curtains at night then close the plants into
the room not out of it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Sacha[_3_] 05-03-2008 12:22 PM

Tomatoes in Greenhouse

On 5/3/08 09:10, in article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

I'm rather new to greenhouse gardening and am wondering whether my potted on
tomato seedlings would be ok in a cold greenhouse where they are to be
planted in due course? I notice that since I potted them on and moved them
to a cooler bay window they are looking stronger.

As long as they're frost-free they should be okay Robert. We start ours off
in the prop. house but move them into another greenhouse which is only
frost-free, not heated.

However, given the cold snap we're having atm, I'd be inclined to wait a few
days for that to pass (I hope!). Your plants are now used to the relative
warmth of the house. I wouldn't put them into the ground yet, either.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_130_] 05-03-2008 03:50 PM

Tomatoes in Greenhouse

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Place them in a cold greenhouse in Mid April, but you can place them
there now if you can maintain a temperature of about 55% F. As a matter
if interest, what is the temperature in you bay window at about 2 am on
a coldish night?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Good question, unfortunately I have no idea but it's completely unheated in
that room

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_131_] 05-03-2008 03:51 PM

Tomatoes in Greenhouse

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 5/3/08 09:10, in article ,
"Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

I'm rather new to greenhouse gardening and am wondering whether my potted
on
tomato seedlings would be ok in a cold greenhouse where they are to be
planted in due course? I notice that since I potted them on and moved
them
to a cooler bay window they are looking stronger.

As long as they're frost-free they should be okay Robert. We start ours
off
in the prop. house but move them into another greenhouse which is only
frost-free, not heated.

However, given the cold snap we're having atm, I'd be inclined to wait a
few
days for that to pass (I hope!). Your plants are now used to the relative
warmth of the house. I wouldn't put them into the ground yet, either.

OK very useful from everybody, thank you