GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden Vac Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/17190-garden-vac-question.html)

Jim Donald 22-04-2003 04:44 AM

Garden Vac Question

Are garden vacs any use for sucking up small pieces of broken galss
and other sharp objects - like screwnails etc?

We often have a problem with glass & sharp debris near my garage and I
was wondering if a petrol garden vac might be the solution. Fed up
sweeping...

TIA for any assistance.

jane 22-04-2003 09:56 AM

Garden Vac Question

~
~We often have a problem with glass & sharp debris near my garage and I
~was wondering if a petrol garden vac might be the solution. Fed up
~sweeping...
~
~TIA for any assistance.

I'd say definitely not.
If there is a built-in shredder blade, you'll end up with glass
splinters all over the inside of a cloth bag and this would be very
dangerous. If the screws haven't shorted it out or jammed it up first.
Even if there isn't a shredder blade the pieces may well go at high
speed through the bag (plastic/cloth usually) and into you.

Anything that accelerates sharp things to high speeds is to be
avoided!

(I've only got a mains-powered one for leaves, but it still has the
habit of blowing the bag off occasionally, which in your case would
shoot glass at your feet or side - definitely *not* to be recommended)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Janet Baraclough 22-04-2003 11:08 PM

Garden Vac Question

The message
from (jane) contains these words:

wrote:

~Are garden vacs any use for sucking up small pieces of broken galss
~and other sharp objects - like screwnails etc?

Dunno, why not just use an ordinary "nozzle" domestic vacuum cleaner
with a disposable bag?

Janet

John Towill 24-04-2003 01:56 PM

Garden Vac Question

--

wrote:

~Are garden vacs any use for sucking up small pieces of broken galss
~and other sharp objects - like screwnails etc?

Dunno, why not just use an ordinary "nozzle" domestic vacuum cleaner
with a disposable bag?

Janet

Mine picks up heavy items, such as glass, pebbles etc but they do not travel
into the bag, so when you lift it free of the ground to reduce vacuum, or
reduce speed they all fall out! No use for your job methinks.
for gardening it is only satisfactory for small quantities of leafy
material, large quantities need to be blow.

Cheers
John T
Remove the wet from towill to reply
by email

Janet Baraclough 25-04-2003 12:21 AM

Garden Vac Question

The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

--

wrote:

~Are garden vacs any use for sucking up small pieces of broken galss
~and other sharp objects - like screwnails etc?

Dunno, why not just use an ordinary "nozzle" domestic vacuum cleaner
with a disposable bag?

Janet

Mine picks up heavy items, such as glass, pebbles etc but they do not travel
into the bag, so when you lift it free of the ground to reduce vacuum, or
reduce speed they all fall out! No use for your job methinks.

Mine's a Vax (orange tub shape) and it eats anything..nails, glass,
socks, biros...

Janet.

Jim Donald 28-04-2003 04:32 PM

Garden Vac Question

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for all your help. Trouble is - there's no handy mains
power, so I was looking for something petrol.

Anyway - back to the old drawing board ;-)

Jim