Old 22-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Default What's this plant?

My neighbour, just moved in, has a profusion of woody, furry-stemmed
tree-like plants growing in her garden. They sprout 3 or 4 stick-like stems
from the ground and seem to be very fast growing with red leaves appearing
at the tops of the stems. It appears that they travel underground before
sprouting up somewhere else because there's a LOT of them, as well as one or
two larger ones which, I imagine, are the "parent" plants. The brown stems
are very soft for their thickness - a half to three-quarters of an inch
across - and are easy to cut down, but we'd really like to get rid of them
altogether.

Any ideas?

Si

Old 22-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes:
| My neighbour, just moved in, has a profusion of woody, furry-stemmed
| tree-like plants growing in her garden. They sprout 3 or 4 stick-like stems
| from the ground and seem to be very fast growing with red leaves appearing
| at the tops of the stems. It appears that they travel underground before
| sprouting up somewhere else because there's a LOT of them, as well as one or
| two larger ones which, I imagine, are the "parent" plants. The brown stems
| are very soft for their thickness - a half to three-quarters of an inch
| across - and are easy to cut down, but we'd really like to get rid of them
| altogether.

Staghorn sumach. Rhus typhina. Poisonous (irritant) sap.

One solution is to cut them all down and spray new shoots with
glyphosate (or perhaps brushwood killer) as they open their
leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "Mungo \"two sheds\"

Toadfoot" writes:
| My neighbour, just moved in, has a profusion of woody, furry-stemmed
| tree-like plants growing in her garden.

Staghorn sumach. Rhus typhina. Poisonous (irritant) sap.

One solution is to cut them all down and spray new shoots with
glyphosate (or perhaps brushwood killer) as they open their
leaves.

That's the chappy! Many thanks.

Si

Old 22-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Nick wrote in message after...
"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes:
| My neighbour, just moved in, has a profusion of woody, furry-stemmed
| tree-like plants growing in her garden. They sprout 3 or 4 stick-like

stems
| from the ground and seem to be very fast growing with red leaves

appearing
| at the tops of the stems. It appears that they travel underground

before
| sprouting up somewhere else because there's a LOT of them, as well as

one or
| two larger ones which, I imagine, are the "parent" plants. The brown

stems
| are very soft for their thickness - a half to three-quarters of an inch
| across - and are easy to cut down, but we'd really like to get rid of

them
| altogether.

Staghorn sumach. Rhus typhina. Poisonous (irritant) sap.

One solution is to cut them all down and spray new shoots with
glyphosate (or perhaps brushwood killer) as they open their
leaves.

We cut ours down for the same reason, new trees coming up everywhere
including travelling under a 8ft wide concrete drive to my neighbour. I cut
it all down and used SBK brushkiller on the stems (cover it to avoid any
accidents please) and they died quickly and rotted away quickly too.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.