GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning privet (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172587-pruning-privet.html)

Emrys Davies 03-04-2008 08:52 PM

Pruning privet

A a few meters of a 7' tall privet hedge and some holly at our bowling
club has gradually overgrown part of a pathway. Ideally, it needs to be
trimmed back some six inches and that would mean cutting into old wood.
If I do that now will it recover this year?

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Nick Maclaren 03-04-2008 08:58 PM

Pruning privet

In article ,
"Emrys Davies" writes:
| A a few meters of a 7' tall privet hedge and some holly at our bowling
| club has gradually overgrown part of a pathway. Ideally, it needs to be
| trimmed back some six inches and that would mean cutting into old wood.
| If I do that now will it recover this year?

Yes. Both will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] 03-04-2008 09:09 PM

Pruning privet

"Emrys Davies" writes:

A a few meters of a 7' tall privet hedge and some holly at our bowling
club has gradually overgrown part of a pathway. Ideally, it needs to be
trimmed back some six inches and that would mean cutting into old wood.
If I do that now will it recover this year?

Cut it back further than it needs, and let the new growth fill back
in. It doesn't take long to start looking reasonable again.

Anthony

Emrys Davies 04-04-2008 03:18 PM

Pruning privet

Thanks a lot to both of you. I just needed reassurance.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.