Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes - Seed Compost

Back in March I asked about using "seed compost" rather than general
purpose for sewing seeds in.

I have just potted my tomatoes (Sun Gold) in to 10 inch pots today.
They are the sturdiest and "rootiest" that I have ever had.
This year for the first time I started the seeds - and then repotted
in to 3 inch post with "seed compost" rather than general purpose.
I guess this is what has made a very big difference - thanks to those
that recommended doing so.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 07 May 2008 22:42:04 +0100, judith
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Back in March I asked about using "seed compost" rather than general
purpose for sewing seeds in.

I have just potted my tomatoes (Sun Gold) in to 10 inch pots today.
They are the sturdiest and "rootiest" that I have ever had.
This year for the first time I started the seeds - and then repotted
in to 3 inch post with "seed compost" rather than general purpose.
I guess this is what has made a very big difference - thanks to those
that recommended doing so.

Horses for courses, innit.

I started mine in general purpose compost and potted on into the same.

They are now in the (unheated) greenhouse averaging 20" tall, some
with flowers out, all with vigorous sideshoots and stems up to an inch
wide near the base.

One slow growing runt was turfed out yesterday and replaced with my
last spare.

What works for you is always the best option.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
[...]

Just one query - where do you find an unheated greenhouse in this type of
weather ?
110 F in my "unheated" today !

First greenhouse produced punnet of strawberries now up for sale though -
so must not grumble.
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com