Old 08-05-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic Pots

Are plastic pots normally recyclable even though they might not have a
recyclable image on them?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 08 May 2008 12:54:18 +0100, Saxman
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

Are plastic pots normally recyclable even though they might not have a
recyclable image on them?

As a rough rule of thumb, recyclable plastic can be stamped on and
flattened without splitting or cracking into bits.

Plastic pots are brittle and my council would throw them back at me if
found in my plastic/bottle box.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 08 May 2008 13:30:52 +0100, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
wrote:

On Thu, 08 May 2008 12:54:18 +0100, Saxman
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

Are plastic pots normally recyclable even though they might not have a
recyclable image on them?

As a rough rule of thumb, recyclable plastic can be stamped on and
flattened without splitting or cracking into bits.

Plastic pots are brittle and my council would throw them back at me if
found in my plastic/bottle box.

They all have a number on which indicates what they are.

Food containers aren't allowed *yet* in our recycling. (I think they
mainly mean meat packaging)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
wrote:

On Thu, 08 May 2008 12:54:18 +0100, Saxman
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

Are plastic pots normally recyclable even though they might not have a
recyclable image on them?

As a rough rule of thumb, recyclable plastic can be stamped on and
flattened without splitting or cracking into bits.

Plastic pots are brittle and my council would throw them back at me if
found in my plastic/bottle box.

They all have a number on which indicates what they are.

Food containers aren't allowed *yet* in our recycling. (I think they
mainly mean meat packaging)

Nothing makes my wife crosser than plastic food packaging that has the
recycling symbols on it, but that the council won't take, she takes it
all back to Tesco and leaves it with customer services (while I try and
hide) she has a point though shouldn't be allowed to say its recyclable
if they dont recycle it, either that or councils should be made to
recycle everything that can be.
As for plastic pots, most are not recyclable and some are, they are made
out all sorts of different stuff, again daft realy.
Most Horticultral and agricultural plastic waste is not recycled due to
dirt contamination. I believe most is incinerated.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² wrote:

As a rough rule of thumb, recyclable plastic can be stamped on and
flattened without splitting or cracking into bits.

Plastic pots are brittle and my council would throw them back at me if
found in my plastic/bottle box.

That's a good rule of thumb.

Some thin plastic that contains cakes, I'm not so sure about.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 May 2008 18:10:09 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Nothing makes my wife crosser than plastic food packaging that has the
recycling symbols on it, but that the council won't take, she takes it
all back to Tesco and leaves it with customer services (while I try and
hide) she has a point though shouldn't be allowed to say its recyclable

She sounds fun!
I've read that some people strip all the excess packaging at the
tills.

if they dont recycle it, either that or councils should be made to
recycle everything that can be.
As for plastic pots, most are not recyclable and some are, they are made
out all sorts of different stuff, again daft realy.
Most Horticultral and agricultural plastic waste is not recycled due to
dirt contamination. I believe most is incinerated.

We get told we can only recycle clean foil. They can either wash it
themselves or let the dirt burn off when they melt it down.

It's be nice if they recycled everything they can rather than burying
it - there are technologies to extract the oil from plastics I believe
http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn12141