Old 10-05-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse - automatic door opening

Hi all,

I'm a 'non' gardener, but I like the results there of so ...

The lean-to greenhouse has no opening windows - no not an easy option to
put some in (without a full re-build - not my design etc. etc.) so can I
use on of those window openers to open the door or does anyone have any
other ideas?

I'd thought about a PV-cell (or several) and a few 12V computer case fans
but ...

TIA

Nick
Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Nomad" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 May 2008 13:26:45 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...
Hi all,

I'm a 'non' gardener, but I like the results there of so ...

The lean-to greenhouse has no opening windows - no not an easy option
to put some in (without a full re-build - not my design etc. etc.) so
can I use on of those window openers to open the door or does anyone
have any other ideas?

I'd thought about a PV-cell (or several) and a few 12V computer case
fans but ...

TIA

Nick

Put louvre style vents in by taking single sheets of glass out, so long
as your glass is standard they should fit and you can get automatic
openers for them.

Not a feasible option as it is 'clad' is plastic sheeting - thought about
that! Only when (if) I have to rebuild it will that be an option as
nothing is standard anywhere

Putting auto openers on the doors will not work as you would only be
able to go in when it was hot!

Ah! good point did not think about that!

It would depend how you mounted the opener. Let's say the door opens by
moving to the right. You set the opener on the left and arrange for it to
push against a bracket on the door, without being fixed to the door. Then if
you want to go in you can move the door manually. Arranging sufficient
travel for the door might be difficult if using a normal vent opener, but
not beyond the wit of a competent DIYer

Steve

Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"The Nomad" wrote in message
[...]

If its not attached it will open the door but not close it!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-05-2008, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

"The Nomad" wrote in message
[...]

True, but a weight on a piece of string will do that.

Steve

Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Nomad" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks to all, however there is one bit of grit in the Vaseline of
life, the door is not sliding! and I think a bit more sitting looking at
(with a beer/coffee) is needed to get a result.

Much to ponder on

Thanks again all good to have a second brain occasionally!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Nomad" wrote in message
[...]

If it's a hinged door it's even easier, it's designed for a hinged
arrangement. Just needs turning through 90 deg. I hope the door isn't too
heavy, that's going to be relevant.

Steve

Old 13-05-2008, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"The Nomad" wrote in message
[...]

Well there are heavy duty openers, but while I conceed that your
suggestion would work as regards openening/getting in/and closing I think
a door not secured would be likely to suffer wind damage sooner than
later. However something is better than nothing :~)