GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Japanese Maple - feeding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/174250-japanese-maple-feeding.html)

Topref 12-05-2008 06:16 PM

Japanese Maple - feeding

We have quite a large Japanese Maple but this spring it isn't flourishing as
well as it has in the past. Is there anything I can add to the soil in the
form of nutrients that will give it a boost?

beccabunga 13-05-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topref (Post 791172)
We have quite a large Japanese Maple but this spring it isn't flourishing as
well as it has in the past. Is there anything I can add to the soil in the
form of nutrients that will give it a boost?

Have you tried watering it with Sequestrene? Many of the Japanese maples are acid lovers.

My brother had one that was not doing too well. He took it out and planted it in a large pot with ericaceous compost, cutting out the poorer branches, and it has flourished.

Emery Davis[_2_] 13-05-2008 10:54 AM

Japanese Maple - feeding

Topref wrote:
We have quite a large Japanese Maple but this spring it isn't flourishing as
well as it has in the past. Is there anything I can add to the soil in the
form of nutrients that will give it a boost?

It's probably unhappy about all the water it got last year.

Your best bet is 40 grams of osmocote hydrangea granules spread around
the drip line. Some bone meal in the same area would be OK too.

Depending on whether your "Japanese Maple" is Acer palmatum or Acer
japonicum,
you could water in a light liquid feed: 1/4 strength for the former,
1/2 strength for
the latter.

Whatever you do don't give it a lot of water, or a lot of nitrogen feed.

-E