Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Japanese Maple - feeding

We have quite a large Japanese Maple but this spring it isn't flourishing as
well as it has in the past. Is there anything I can add to the soil in the
form of nutrients that will give it a boost?

Old 13-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topref View Post
We have quite a large Japanese Maple but this spring it isn't flourishing as
well as it has in the past. Is there anything I can add to the soil in the
form of nutrients that will give it a boost?
Have you tried watering it with Sequestrene? Many of the Japanese maples are acid lovers.

My brother had one that was not doing too well. He took it out and planted it in a large pot with ericaceous compost, cutting out the poorer branches, and it has flourished.
Old 13-05-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Topref wrote:
We have quite a large Japanese Maple but this spring it isn't flourishing as
well as it has in the past. Is there anything I can add to the soil in the
form of nutrients that will give it a boost?

It's probably unhappy about all the water it got last year.

Your best bet is 40 grams of osmocote hydrangea granules spread around
the drip line. Some bone meal in the same area would be OK too.

Depending on whether your "Japanese Maple" is Acer palmatum or Acer
japonicum,
you could water in a light liquid feed: 1/4 strength for the former,
1/2 strength for
the latter.

Whatever you do don't give it a lot of water, or a lot of nitrogen feed.

-E