Old 16-05-2008, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I need a word

When you cut the main stems of angelica, there is something like
a spaghetti corkscrew inside that does not seem attached to the
stems except at the bottom. I can't see why, but let that pass.

My question is what is it called?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-05-2008, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| When you cut the main stems of angelica, there is something like
| a spaghetti corkscrew inside that does not seem attached to the
| stems except at the bottom. I can't see why, but let that pass.
|
| My question is what is it called?
|
| Dunno. At what stage do you cut angelica for angelification? And what's
| the process, IYWBSK.

Now. Before it has started to go too stringy, but not too young.

Cut it into sections and at least once lengthwise, and simmer it
in a 1 lb / 1 pint syrup until slightly softened. Leave it in
and, over the next week or so, remove it, reduce the syrup to
strengthen it, and bring it back to the boil. Usually, then
remove it and dry it on a rack. Keep the syrup, which is very
good in fruit salad and other dishes.

However, I find that it goes mouldy (God alone knows what they
put in the lurid coloured commercial stuff to stop that), and we
usually use it 'wet'. So I shall be putting it in jars covering
it with syrup, and seeing how that goes.

One of the dishes I invented is angelica ice cream. Use the stems,
soaked in syrup and chopped coarsely, and the syrup to sweeten.
Add some Chartreuse to taste. First class. And easy to make.
You can't use the commercial stuff, as there is too much dye in
it to be either palatable or safe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-05-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

| Dunno. At what stage do you cut angelica for angelification? And what's
| the process, IYWBSK.

Now. Before it has started to go too stringy, but not too young.

Cut it into sections and at least once lengthwise, and simmer it
in a 1 lb / 1 pint syrup until slightly softened. Leave it in
and, over the next week or so, remove it, reduce the syrup to
strengthen it, and bring it back to the boil. Usually, then
remove it and dry it on a rack. Keep the syrup, which is very
good in fruit salad and other dishes.

However, I find that it goes mouldy (God alone knows what they
put in the lurid coloured commercial stuff to stop that), and we
usually use it 'wet'. So I shall be putting it in jars covering
it with syrup, and seeing how that goes.

One of the dishes I invented is angelica ice cream. Use the stems,
soaked in syrup and chopped coarsely, and the syrup to sweeten.
Add some Chartreuse to taste. First class. And easy to make.
You can't use the commercial stuff, as there is too much dye in
it to be either palatable or safe.

Ta. Saved for next year, as my angelica seedlings are around two inches
high...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig