GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Digging fork recommendation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/174910-digging-fork-recommendation.html)

Dave H[_2_] 22-05-2008 11:41 AM

Digging fork recommendation

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Nick Maclaren 22-05-2008 11:50 AM

In article , "Dave H" writes:
| Hi All
| I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
| I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?
|
| it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
| may be known as a potato fork??)
| also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)
|
| I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
| but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
| label has come off

I think that is what I have - I will try to look up its name and make.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

mogga 22-05-2008 01:11 PM

Digging fork recommendation

On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:41:10 +0100, "Dave H"
wrote:

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Go and pick some up in a shop. (Having had a quick research of prices
online)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Dave H[_2_] 22-05-2008 03:57 PM

wrote:

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Go and pick some up in a shop. (Having had a quick research of prices
online)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I have looked at some in my local shops (DIY Sheds) all seem to have
fairly narrow tines and short (ish) handles
Dave H

mogga 22-05-2008 04:05 PM

Digging fork recommendation

On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:57:45 +0100, "Dave H"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Go and pick some up in a shop. (Having had a quick research of prices
online)

I have looked at some in my local shops (DIY Sheds) all seem to have
fairly narrow tines and short (ish) handles
Dave H

Ah you need a fork shop then.
Not got a garden centre or Wilkos near you?

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0134651
Height: 95cm
Which prob isn't tall enough for you.

If you wanted spades I can find them growing wild round here.
:)

beccabunga 23-05-2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave H[_2_] (Post 793667)

Bulldog do a potato fork: http://tinyurl.com/4qgkbb

Rob 23-05-2008 06:13 AM

Digging fork recommendation

On 23 mei, 03:25, beccabunga
wrote:
'Dave H[_2_ Wrote:

;793667']Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but
it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Bulldog do a potato fork: *http://tinyurl.com/4qgkbb

--
beccabunga- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Try here, for example, to survey the market:
http://www.tooled-up.com/SubCategory.asp?CID=3&SCID=4
I see there Spear and Jackson Potato fork and an extra long fork from
Draper (1050 mm).

Nick Maclaren 23-05-2008 08:11 AM

Digging fork recommendation

In article ,
beccabunga writes:
| 'Dave H[_2_ Wrote:
| ;793667']Hi All
| I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
| I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?
|
| it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but
| it may be known as a potato fork??)
| also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)
|
| I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
| but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
| its label has come off
|
| Bulldog do a potato fork: http://tinyurl.com/4qgkbb

I don't think that it is a potato fork!

I have one of a comparable era, and it was called something like
Power Digger. If it is the same, it has a steel shaft, both the
handle and blades are at a slightly greater angle to the shaft
than usual, and the tines are 5-sided.

It might have been Spear and Jackson.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 23-05-2008 08:16 AM

In article , "Dave H" writes:
| Hi All
| I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
| I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?
|
| it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
| may be known as a potato fork??)
| also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)
|
| I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
| but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
| label has come off
|
| any thoughts?

Wilkinson Sword "Power Digging Fork":

http://www.wilkinsonswordgarden.co.u...ts/601572W.php

That's the one I have.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

George.com 23-05-2008 10:11 AM

"Dave H" wrote in message
Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its label has come off

any thoughts?

depending where you broke it, why not get it repaired. My old man has a
garden fork with a steel handle of at least 30 years vintage. He bent the
handle once so got the thing rewelded. A little shorter but still does the
job for him.

rob